Go Back   tanTALK - Tanning Salon Business Owners Community > TanTalk Central > Tanning Salon Management

Tanning Salon Management Salon management help here.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #21 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 18 2005
Location: GA
Posts: 1,153
Rep Power: 14 peach will become famous soon enough
Re: Start With The Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Steve's quote
"The single most distracting item for an employee is a cell phone. they should be turned off and left in a purse or designated area while at work. No other service business allows cell phones or sitting. This is not being a tyrant these should be establish rules of employment. Salon business should be conducted on the salon phone only"

Steve

Good employees can sell, clean and have their phone on. Bad employees cant regardless of the phone or not.

When an employee is at the back of the salon working alone and she gets trapped by an aggressive man she better have that cell phone in her back pocket and it better be on!

And you give this advice based on how many stores you run and how many hours you spend behind the counter Steve?????
I base mine on 22 years and a dozen salons. And the 100's of times I walk into other businesses and see employees so distracted by their "devices" that they don't even know I am there.
peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:25 PM   #22 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 30 2007
Location: Naples FL
Posts: 781
Rep Power: 12 Tony is on a distinguished road
Re: Start With The Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by peach View Post
I base mine on 22 years and a dozen salons. And the 100's of times I walk into other businesses and see employees so distracted by their "devices" that they don't even know I am there.
22 years ago none of your employees had a cell phone and if they did they couldnt text or roam facebook. We can reach out and see what our employees are doing via our camera network :)

What happened to all your salons dude?
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:16 AM   #23 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 18 2005
Location: GA
Posts: 1,153
Rep Power: 14 peach will become famous soon enough
Re: Start With The Basics

"22 years ago none of your employees had a cell phone and if they did they couldnt text or roam facebook" -exactly why the cell phone problem is bigger than ever. If you are going to allow cell phones to be used by employees, on the job, why waste the time and money to monitor them?
peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:20 AM   #24 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 18 2005
Location: GA
Posts: 1,153
Rep Power: 14 peach will become famous soon enough
Re: Start With The Basics

What happened to all your salons dude?-better question is, "What happened to our industry"?
peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:56 PM   #25 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 21 2004
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 1,502
Rep Power: 15 Steve Underhill has a spectacular aura about Steve Underhill has a spectacular aura about Steve Underhill has a spectacular aura about
Re: Start With The Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Steve's quote
"The single most distracting item for an employee is a cell phone. they should be turned off and left in a purse or designated area while at work. No other service business allows cell phones or sitting. This is not being a tyrant these should be establish rules of employment. Salon business should be conducted on the salon phone only"

Steve

Good employees can sell, clean and have their phone on. Bad employees cant regardless of the phone or not.

When an employee is at the back of the salon working alone and she gets trapped by an aggressive man she better have that cell phone in her back pocket and it better be on!

And you give this advice based on how many stores you run and how many hours you spend behind the counter Steve?????
Tony, you are basing the need for employees to have use of their cell phones in the salon is to prevent being attacked? having a cell phone does not prevent you from being attacked anywhere.

Tony if a rule fore employment is no cell phones there will not be a problem or resistance.

having your cell phone and ability to use it while at work actually encourages them being on it every chance that get because that is their normal behavior. Eliminate distractions and create a positive working environment.

Tony when i go into a salon where phones are not allowed I am always greeted and shown a high level of customer services. In salons with no rules the person SITTING behind the counter is on her cell phone or on the INTERNET, and I represent a distraction to what she wants to be doing.

When there is clear guidelines and job descriptions combined with regular training to be employed at your salon, the new employee understands the rules of employment and follows them without resistance.

You never allow the nuts to run the nut house. There must be rules that will translate to a higher level of job performance and customer service.

Tony when you hire your staff maybe you should give them some mace to protect themselves from attackers. It is much more like to help than a cell phone.
__________________
Stephen Underhill
Consultant
steve@smuconsulting.com
Steve Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #26 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 18 2005
Location: GA
Posts: 1,153
Rep Power: 14 peach will become famous soon enough
Re: Start With The Basics

Yes, I can just see it now....wait a minute Mr mugger, let me call my boyfriend... he'll beat you up when he gets here!

The mace idea sounds doable.
peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:17 PM   #27 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 30 2007
Location: Naples FL
Posts: 781
Rep Power: 12 Tony is on a distinguished road
Re: Start With The Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Underhill View Post
Tony, you are basing the need for employees to have use of their cell phones in the salon is to prevent being attacked? having a cell phone does not prevent you from being attacked anywhere.

Tony if a rule fore employment is no cell phones there will not be a problem or resistance.

having your cell phone and ability to use it while at work actually encourages them being on it every chance that get because that is their normal behavior. Eliminate distractions and create a positive working environment.

Tony when i go into a salon where phones are not allowed I am always greeted and shown a high level of customer services. In salons with no rules the person SITTING behind the counter is on her cell phone or on the INTERNET, and I represent a distraction to what she wants to be doing.

When there is clear guidelines and job descriptions combined with regular training to be employed at your salon, the new employee understands the rules of employment and follows them without resistance.

You never allow the nuts to run the nut house. There must be rules that will translate to a higher level of job performance and customer service.

Tony when you hire your staff maybe you should give them some mace to protect themselves from attackers. It is much more like to help than a cell phone.
We allow our girls to carry if they have their concealed weapons permit.
Mace wont save anyone. If they lock themselves in the back room it will buy them enough time to call 911. Better then not calling anyone.
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:12 PM   #28 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 21 2004
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 1,502
Rep Power: 15 Steve Underhill has a spectacular aura about Steve Underhill has a spectacular aura about Steve Underhill has a spectacular aura about
Re: Start With The Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
22 years ago none of your employees had a cell phone and if they did they couldn't text or roam face book. We can reach out and see what our employees are doing via our camera network :)

What happened to all your salons dude?
Tony cell phones and all of the things done on cell phones are a distraction in a work environment. Leaving use of cell phones as a discretionary choice of your employees is terrible management. Employees are only as good as their training and procedures they must follow.
It is my opinion that cell phone use in a tanning salon sends the wrong message, no pun intended, to tanners.
__________________
Stephen Underhill
Consultant
steve@smuconsulting.com
Steve Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:36 PM   #29 (permalink)
Team TanTalk
 
parrot head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 13 2004
Location: Menomonie, Wi.
Age: 77
Posts: 3,145
Rep Power: 17 parrot head has disabled reputation
Re: Start With The Basics

^^^I totally agree with Steve. There is nothing so annoying for a customer, or myself, to come into the salon and see the employee talking or more often, texting. Cell phones are a distraction and should be turned off during employment shift---period.
parrot head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:16 AM   #30 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 30 2007
Location: Naples FL
Posts: 781
Rep Power: 12 Tony is on a distinguished road
Re: Start With The Basics

Steve

All i can say is you obviously dont have any salons or you would realize
how destructive your stand on no cell phones is in 2014. You want
a young female to work 8 hours a day and tell her she has to tune out
the most important device/thing in her life? And that will endear your
staff to their Job? Specially in Sept when they work in a mausoleum?
Really? Its obvious you dont know how to control staff with other less
draconian methods.
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need 2 Big VHR's, 1 HP, 4 Basics, 1 spray booth TropicalTan Wanted 1 04-02-2009 01:53 PM
Basics of Bones eileen The Benefits of UV Light 0 04-06-2008 09:59 AM
Lotion basics ETan Tanning Lotion Buzz 3 03-02-2004 11:53 PM
JA Basics Tingle Free - Like It tangirl Tanning Lotion Buzz 3 05-16-2002 04:39 PM
JA tanning basics Tinglefree Bronzer hotgirl Tanning Lotion Buzz 4 02-19-2002 05:20 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0
Copyright 2009 - tanTALK.com

click here for advertising info!