Go Back   tanTALK - Tanning Salon Business Owners Community > TanTalk Central > Tanning Salon Management

Tanning Salon Management Salon management help here.

View Poll Results: What Membership options do you offer?
Standard EFT - auto draft their credit cards til cancel 29 72.50%
Local EFT - don't hold CC, but they have to renew before month is up 3 7.50%
Year or month unlimited with a small (e.g. $1-2) co-pay 8 20.00%
Super Saver - upfront fee and half-off single visits 5 12.50%
Tan Till the end of the Year (usually Fall - discounted) 11 27.50%
Summer Tanning pass (discounted 3 month pass) 6 15.00%
Time/Day option (e.g. mornings or weekends only) 1 2.50%
We offer some other membership options 3 7.50%
We offer NO membership options 4 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2014, 09:43 AM   #61 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 18 2005
Location: GA
Posts: 1,153
Rep Power: 13 peach will become famous soon enough
Re: Membership - MANY approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
they are mounted and locked down on the wall
Pad technology is cool, no doubt about it. I'd like to see that. But it will be up to us users
to come up with new technology in the future. Our industry is shrinking and there just isn't enough money in it
anymore for outside people to get involved.
peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:40 AM   #62 (permalink)
Team TanTalk
 
parrot head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 13 2004
Location: Menomonie, Wi.
Age: 76
Posts: 3,145
Rep Power: 16 parrot head has disabled reputation
Re: Membership - MANY approaches...

^^^Yes, even Tantrack isn't updating their software anymore. The next release of their software update was scheduled for the spring of 2012.
parrot head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #63 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 30 2007
Location: Naples FL
Posts: 760
Rep Power: 11 Tony is on a distinguished road
Re: Membership - MANY approaches...

wow thats pretty bad! Is Suntouch updating still?
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:19 PM   #64 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 21 2004
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 1,499
Rep Power: 14 Steve Underhill has a spectacular aura about Steve Underhill has a spectacular aura about Steve Underhill has a spectacular aura about
Re: Membership - MANY approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsally View Post
While most salons know about the use of an EFT program, many haven't considered other alternatives.


The ones I find work best are some version of a "co-pay".

For example:

1. $99 year unlimited with $1 co-pay

Pay $99 upfront, and $1 each time you use Level 1. Other levels available for the $1 plus normal upgrade prices.


2. Super Saver Single Membership


Pay some smaller amount upfront (e.g. $9.99 for a month, $49.99 for a year) and pay half-off single walk-in visits for any equipment you want, any time.


What other membership programs have you tried? If not membership, what are YOU doing to "lock in" customers to your salon and keep them from trying a competitor?
This is certainly a way to operate a salon, the only problem is it does not work with todays consumer. To have a program where every time i tan I must be carrying cash is a very old concept.

While this is certainly something that can be done, it is a lot like selling minutes. Not a good idea for maximizing income potential.

Don't look at it simply as a tanning salon. Consider how consumers have evolved in how transactions are made today and will evolve even more as time goes on. An old method like copay is not going to make your salon more profitable. It is more likely to stimulate decreases in sales. Maybe you could also go back to a cash register and keeping track of tanners on file cards.
__________________
Stephen Underhill
Consultant
steve@smuconsulting.com
Steve Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:17 PM   #65 (permalink)
Team TanTalk
 
Join Date: Nov 23 2004
Location: ITA Member & Berman Supporter!
Posts: 3,122
Rep Power: 19 sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Membership - MANY approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Underhill View Post
This is certainly a way to operate a salon, the only problem is it does not work with todays consumer. To have a program where every time i tan I must be carrying cash is a very old concept.

While this is certainly something that can be done, it is a lot like selling minutes. Not a good idea for maximizing income potential.

Don't look at it simply as a tanning salon. Consider how consumers have evolved in how transactions are made today and will evolve even more as time goes on. An old method like copay is not going to make your salon more profitable. It is more likely to stimulate decreases in sales. Maybe you could also go back to a cash register and keeping track of tanners on file cards.

Actually, typically salons that use these methods offer the option to establish "credits" or a "bank" --- for example - have $20 today, pay the $1.17 for your tan and put the remainder "on your account".

It isn't dissimilar to a "typical" eft, where a customer might sign up for one level but staff are trained to recommend they upgrade, buy product etc each visit.

Different methods to "tie in" customers. For those that don't have credit cards, are reluctant to give credit card info to be kept --- it is just another way to offer "membership" tanning.

And - of course - they don't have to actually carry "cash" - they can use their debit or credit card as well of course. On many/most college campuses now, students constantly carry their "ID card" which serves as a credit card, access to their dorms, meal plan tracker, etc!
sunsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:44 AM   #66 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 30 2008
Location: michigan
Posts: 791
Rep Power: 10 sunrisetan is on a distinguished road
Re: Membership - MANY approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsally View Post
Actually, typically salons that use these methods offer the option to establish "credits" or a "bank" --- for example - have $20 today, pay the $1.17 for your tan and put the remainder "on your account".

It isn't dissimilar to a "typical" eft, where a customer might sign up for one level but staff are trained to recommend they upgrade, buy product etc each visit.

Different methods to "tie in" customers. For those that don't have credit cards, are reluctant to give credit card info to be kept --- it is just another way to offer "membership" tanning.

And - of course - they don't have to actually carry "cash" - they can use their debit or credit card as well of course. On many/most college campuses now, students constantly carry their "ID card" which serves as a credit card, access to their dorms, meal plan tracker, etc!
We offer a monthly co pay. People carry money! Men have wallets, woman have purse's. Cash and credit cards still get used. And yes, they also can pay ahead in "prepays"
sunrisetan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:26 AM   #67 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 18 2005
Location: GA
Posts: 1,153
Rep Power: 13 peach will become famous soon enough
Re: Membership - MANY approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Steve you want to put these generalizations into specifics? No one can implement what you just said!

Retention is the holy grail of EFT's. :)
I agree-no specifics! Most salons hope the customer doesn't even remember they have an eft, let alone contact them in October and remind them that they are paying for something that they are not using.
peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #68 (permalink)
 
Join Date: May 6 2009
Posts: 55
Rep Power: 0 Bronze1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Membership - MANY approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Underhill View Post
This is certainly a way to operate a salon, the only problem is it does not work with todays consumer. To have a program where every time i tan I must be carrying cash is a very old concept.

While this is certainly something that can be done, it is a lot like selling minutes. Not a good idea for maximizing income potential.

Don't look at it simply as a tanning salon. Consider how consumers have evolved in how transactions are made today and will evolve even more as time goes on. An old method like copay is not going to make your salon more profitable. It is more likely to stimulate decreases in sales. Maybe you could also go back to a cash register and keeping track of tanners on file cards.
There you go again Steve,
(1) Stop giving irresponsible, bad advice.
(2) And you cant help but do it with arrogance in the way you say it.
You make yourself sound like a frustrated idiot.
(3) Shame on you for using this site to lure people in to ultimately
charge them money for your "consulting", when your information
can't be depended on to be responsible , balanced or legitimate.

Others have called you out on this site. I've read enough of your worthless blandering crap, you can add me to the list.

This information is not to debate you. It is to educate you. If I'm going to debate anyone they will have a lot better information and a lot smaller ego than you. Stop being a legend in your own mind and get with the program.

EFT and Monthly unlimited w/out copay programs provide a convenience to the customer. And there is enough to be said for "structuring" a salons pricing and marketing and properly training staff to effectively create additional sales in the salon. But EFT and Unlimited w/out copay also make it more convenient for customers to not bring money with them and to stop thinking about any need to spend more in the salon, making the additional sales more difficult to create. Copay plans are very effective at getting the customer back into the mode of bringing money in, cash and Credit/debit, which is a real good thing for the salon. Oh, and by the way, for most salons at least 25% of revenue is still cash. If you want to put yourself out of business do everything you can to discourage the cash revenue that you do still receive. The lower upfront price point for startup is attractive to many people, as well as having the option to prepay for convenience, as others have correctly said. The lower price point has a favorable affect on retention, and copay plans allow the salon to have more predictable control over revenue generated per package sold in relation to actual cost per package sold, because of the copay.

The irony is it appears you could learn a lot more from the people here than they can learn from you, even though you have self-anointed yourself to be the preacher. so we'll all pray for the preacher then. Have a great day.
Bronze1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:10 AM   #69 (permalink)
 
Join Date: May 6 2009
Posts: 55
Rep Power: 0 Bronze1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Membership - MANY approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze1 View Post
There you go again Steve,
(1) Stop giving irresponsible, bad advice.
(2) And you cant help but do it with arrogance in the way you say it.
You make yourself sound like a frustrated idiot.
(3) Shame on you for using this site to lure people in to ultimately
charge them money for your "consulting", when your information
can't be depended on to be responsible , balanced or legitimate.

Others have called you out on this site. I've read enough of your worthless blandering crap, you can add me to the list.

This information is not to debate you. It is to educate you. If I'm going to debate anyone they will have a lot better information and a lot smaller ego than you. Stop being a legend in your own mind and get with the program.

EFT and Monthly unlimited w/out copay programs provide a convenience to the customer. And there is enough to be said for "structuring" a salons pricing and marketing and properly training staff to effectively create additional sales in the salon. But EFT and Unlimited w/out copay also make it more convenient for customers to not bring money with them and to stop thinking about any need to spend more in the salon, making the additional sales more difficult to create. Copay plans are very effective at getting the customer back into the mode of bringing money in, cash and Credit/debit, which is a real good thing for the salon. Oh, and by the way, for most salons at least 25% of revenue is still cash. If you want to put yourself out of business do everything you can to discourage the cash revenue that you do still receive. The lower upfront price point for startup is attractive to many people, as well as having the option to prepay for convenience, as others have correctly said. The lower price point has a favorable affect on retention, and copay plans allow the salon to have more predictable control over revenue generated per package sold in relation to actual cost per package sold, because of the copay.

The irony is it appears you could learn a lot more from the people here than they can learn from you, even though you have self-anointed yourself to be the preacher. so we'll all pray for the preacher then. Have a great day.
Why is it whenever Steve gets called out in any significance he has no answer? How convenient. lure people into consulting services for $$, but avoid questioning.
Bronze1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:28 AM   #70 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 30 2008
Location: michigan
Posts: 791
Rep Power: 10 sunrisetan is on a distinguished road
Re: Membership - MANY approaches...

Thinking on Steve....why can't he simply pay to advertise on this site and others rather than posting what appears to be helping salons...but merely luring them into his consulting fees.???
Other companies advertise, and stay quiet on the boards.
sunrisetan is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ITA Membership Directory movieking Tanning Salon Management 10 11-19-2009 10:34 AM
EFT/Membership bronzejason New To The Tanning Business 17 07-25-2008 12:03 AM
EFT Membership Program CHUNN General Tanning Industry Discussions 26 07-30-2006 12:42 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0
Copyright 2009 - tanTALK.com

click here for advertising info!