Go Back   tanTALK - Tanning Salon Business Owners Community > TanTalk Central > Tanning Salon Management

Tanning Salon Management Salon management help here.

View Poll Results: What Membership options do you offer?
Standard EFT - auto draft their credit cards til cancel 29 72.50%
Local EFT - don't hold CC, but they have to renew before month is up 3 7.50%
Year or month unlimited with a small (e.g. $1-2) co-pay 8 20.00%
Super Saver - upfront fee and half-off single visits 5 12.50%
Tan Till the end of the Year (usually Fall - discounted) 11 27.50%
Summer Tanning pass (discounted 3 month pass) 6 15.00%
Time/Day option (e.g. mornings or weekends only) 1 2.50%
We offer some other membership options 3 7.50%
We offer NO membership options 4 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #41 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 30 2007
Location: Naples FL
Posts: 755
Rep Power: 11 Tony is on a distinguished road
Re: Membership - MANY approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Underhill View Post
Quote
Steve the all bed salons are dropping like flys too in case you didn't notice :) The failing stores ran to add beds because they thought it would make a difference. Well it didn't. So why are we still going after 6 years? I know exactly why HT failed and it was a combination of several

Tanning salons because they are not properly structured or marketed. I have never suggested salons have only beds, in fact I think it is very important for a salon to have a strong booth presence. I just get behind the fact that you feel the only way to succeed is with all booths at $9.99 a month. The largest segment of tanners prefer tanning on beds no matter what your focus group says. Steve you have this terrible habit of speaking on my behalf. It would be beyond stupid to think the only way to succeed is with booths at $9.99. I ABSOLUTELY dont think that. I think you can make money with beds, without beds, with 9.99 and without 9.99. Why would you make such a reckless judgement like that?

Failing salons do not have to fail, they simply must evaluate their structure and marketing efforts and be willing to invest in their own success. Steve really? Why would you even say this. Your pontificating and it just looks bad.



I think it is great that you have reintroduced Hollywood Tans concept of all booth tanning. Steve lol do you realize how lame that comment is? HT has no more in common with our model then there is with your model. If someone opens with beds do you automatically think they are using your bed model? Of course you dont! There is so much more to us then the equipment. Our strategies are completely different! This leaves the majority of the tanners for the full service salon.
Can you see me shaking my hear with your "full service" comments? We are very full service. Get a clue finally!

Last edited by Tony; 03-05-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Tony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:09 PM   #42 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 30 2007
Location: Naples FL
Posts: 755
Rep Power: 11 Tony is on a distinguished road
Re: Membership - MANY approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalSS View Post
Does anyone get in writing WHY a customer is cancelling a membership? Because I do and I have 15 years of metrics. I have watched it change over the years as to why..but I opt to metric this because it helps me understand how to better get in front of it.
Number one reason from 2010 to present...
1. Money (by margins!!)
2. Moving
3. Don't use it

Well your metrics definitely argues against a price increase :)
Tony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:49 PM   #43 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 21 2004
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 1,499
Rep Power: 14 Steve Underhill has a spectacular aura about Steve Underhill has a spectacular aura about Steve Underhill has a spectacular aura about
Re: Membership - MANY approaches...

We never want to lose sight of the fact that consumers make decisions based on the experience associated with a service or product. The tan is not the only thing they are looking for, the tanning experience has become a very important element in tanning. that is why so many tanners are drawn to the variety upgrade equipment and all of the comfort and features associated with in. The same reason that everyone does not drive a ford is the same reason all tanners will not be drawn to a choice of one basic booth. People are willing to pay more when they get more. That is why you must have something for the value shopper and the discriminating tanner. At an all booth salon, there are no choices and the experience becomes boring. Even if it is cheap.
__________________
Stephen Underhill
Consultant
steve@smuconsulting.com
Steve Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:16 PM   #44 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 30 2007
Location: Naples FL
Posts: 755
Rep Power: 11 Tony is on a distinguished road
Re: Membership - MANY approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Underhill View Post
We never want to lose sight of the fact that consumers make decisions based on the experience associated with a service or product. The tan is not the only thing they are looking for, the tanning experience has become a very important element in tanning. that is why so many tanners are drawn to the variety upgrade equipment (i agree that retailers have learned that its all about the experience but choices dont equate to experience. They equate to decision making which female consumers really dont like past a certain point. Read the book "What women really want" then you will get why you misread the importance of levels. Most salons have a detrimental number of levels) and all of the comfort and features associated with in. The same reason that everyone does not drive a ford is the same reason all tanners will not be drawn to a choice of one basic booth. [color="Magenta"]Steve this is such a faulty comparison. I am sorry I dont want to be combative but you just say the craziest stuff. First of all and for many people all that matters is the brand. Once people are BRANDED not much else matters. Very few salon chains have BRANDED their market! People are willing to pay more when they get more. SOME people but most are not or can not! you are way off base here too! That is why you must have something for the value shopper and the discriminating tanner. At an all booth salon, there are no choices and the experience becomes boring. Even if it is cheap.
Steve how did you come to this wild conclusion? Seriously dude you say off the wall stuff. People go to tanning salons first and foremost to get a TAN! SHAZAAM what a revelation! Dont compare tanning salons to a grocery store. WOW!
Tony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:24 PM   #45 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 30 2008
Location: michigan
Posts: 791
Rep Power: 10 sunrisetan is on a distinguished road
Re: Membership - MANY approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Underhill View Post
We never want to lose sight of the fact that consumers make decisions based on the experience associated with a service or product. The tan is not the only thing they are looking for, the tanning experience has become a very important element in tanning. that is why so many tanners are drawn to the variety upgrade equipment and all of the comfort and features associated with in. The same reason that everyone does not drive a ford is the same reason all tanners will not be drawn to a choice of one basic booth. People are willing to pay more when they get more. That is why you must have something for the value shopper and the discriminating tanner. At an all booth salon, there are no choices and the experience becomes boring. Even if it is cheap.
"Becomes boring, even if cheap." I think that's part of the concept...fine, as long as they keep paying the $9.99. I don't assume having the greater percentage of tanning clients, actually tanning, works for the $9.99 concept. The greater percentage of paying clients, must not tan, for it to work.
sunrisetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:30 PM   #46 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 11 2008
Location: Adrian, Michigan
Posts: 82
Rep Power: 0 mmurra is on a distinguished road
Re: Membership - MANY approaches...

Sunrisetan - I am a 27 year Michigan operator and have used Tony's system, with his considerate mentoring, with great success It is not about "cheap" but about providing a service that customers want to pay for. I go to McDonalds for a salad, to a fine dining restaurant for a different experience. I do not buy "cheap" - I buy quality, like all my customers do. If you have a "cheap" mentality. so be it. Tony is not selling "cheap" but a wonderful experience for customers like me. I tan at his salon when I am at my winter home in Venice Florida. The concept works because it is a great experience. Try it before you judge.

Most of my $9.99 members tan on a somewhat regular basis, but it is up to them to decide what they want. They have the choice to use the service as often as they choose, for a price they willingly pay. It is about providing a wonderful experience at a fair price - just like my dining at McDonalds or a fine dining restaurant.

Last edited by mmurra; 03-04-2014 at 08:42 PM.
mmurra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #47 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 30 2007
Location: Naples FL
Posts: 755
Rep Power: 11 Tony is on a distinguished road
Re: Membership - MANY approaches...

Hey Mark

I didnt know you posted on Tan Talk. Glad to see you out here and not on the other bad site :)

These guys dont get it. They all talk like experts. They are so stuck deep inside their little tanning boxes. Best part is they talk with such conviction like they know! Its mainly disguised criticism as I am sure you can tell!

Thanks for you business. Its always great to have a successful salon owner with your years of experience use our service and be happy with it!
Tony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:35 PM   #48 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 30 2007
Location: Naples FL
Posts: 755
Rep Power: 11 Tony is on a distinguished road
Re: Membership - MANY approaches...

Hey Mark tell everyone how cool Hyperion is and the tablets in the room that replaced the antiquated Tmax's :)
Tony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:55 AM   #49 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 18 2005
Location: GA
Posts: 1,153
Rep Power: 13 peach will become famous soon enough
Re: Membership - MANY approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Underhill View Post
We never want to lose sight of the fact that consumers make decisions based on the experience associated with a service or product. The tan is not the only thing they are looking for, the tanning experience has become a very important element in tanning. that is why so many tanners are drawn to the variety upgrade equipment and all of the comfort and features associated with in. The same reason that everyone does not drive a ford is the same reason all tanners will not be drawn to a choice of one basic booth. People are willing to pay more when they get more. That is why you must have something for the value shopper and the discriminating tanner. At an all booth salon, there are no choices and the experience becomes boring. Even if it is cheap.
Agreed. No need to worry about Zoom? No, there aspects of their model that are good, and are needed in this industry
peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:59 AM   #50 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 30 2008
Location: michigan
Posts: 791
Rep Power: 10 sunrisetan is on a distinguished road
Re: Membership - MANY approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmurra View Post
Sunrisetan - I am a 27 year Michigan operator and have used Tony's system, with his considerate mentoring, with great success It is not about "cheap" but about providing a service that customers want to pay for. I go to McDonalds for a salad, to a fine dining restaurant for a different experience. I do not buy "cheap" - I buy quality, like all my customers do. If you have a "cheap" mentality. so be it. Tony is not selling "cheap" but a wonderful experience for customers like me. I tan at his salon when I am at my winter home in Venice Florida. The concept works because it is a great experience. Try it before you judge.

Most of my $9.99 members tan on a somewhat regular basis, but it is up to them to decide what they want. They have the choice to use the service as often as they choose, for a price they willingly pay. It is about providing a wonderful experience at a fair price - just like my dining at McDonalds or a fine dining restaurant.
How can you not say tanning at $9.99 is'nt "cheap" as is mcdonalds.
sunrisetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ITA Membership Directory movieking Tanning Salon Management 10 11-19-2009 09:34 AM
EFT/Membership bronzejason New To The Tanning Business 17 07-24-2008 11:03 PM
EFT Membership Program CHUNN General Tanning Industry Discussions 26 07-30-2006 11:42 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0
Copyright 2009 - tanTALK.com

click here for advertising info!