Go Back   tanTALK - Tanning Salon Business Owners Community > TanTalk Central > Canadian Forum

Canadian Forum For our friends to the North.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Negative publicity, recession and less volume. (The elephant in the room)

What is "normal" / "good" business for a tanning salon these days? After 14 years in the industry the definition of "busy" has really seemed to change. Those owners with more experience will know what I mean, and those who are new, may not realize just how much things have changed. Between negative publicity and a change in consumers spending habits the overall market (base of customers) appears to be smaller than in the past. At least this is what I gather from conversations with others in the industry.

Do these sales numbers sound about right to you?

Typical Canadian Salon: (6 Bed Salon + 1 Spray tan)

Years 2002-2007
$250,000 - $300,000 = GREAT SALON SALES
$130,000 - $180,000 = Average Salon Sales

Years 2008 - 2012
$175,000 - $225,000 = GREAT SALON SALES
$90,000 - $140,000 = Average Salon Sales

Based on your experience / knowledge does this sound way off? About right? What does it mean to be a busy salon these days?

To say the attitude towards tanning isn't changing may be naive. Just talk to the average person (not just tanners in your salon) and you'll notice how much more tanning is starting to be viewed more like smoking. Thoughts?
Good_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Negative publicity, recession and less volume. (The elephant in the room)

I agree somewhat with how tanning seems to be getting a bad rap even more now than in recent years.
thebeachtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeachtan View Post
I agree somewhat with how tanning seems to be getting a bad rap even more now than in recent years.
Thanks for the reply and interesting feedback. Your perspective is that the publicity seems a little more negative.

I would suggest that the negative publicity has been much stronger on the evening news, health segments on the news, national talk shows, government regulations, government sponsered websites, internet stories etc. The lady bringing in her child into a tanning room would be a good example of this.

Are you suggeting that there is a little bit more negativity but it really isn't changing the industry much? Are you speaking from an owners percpective? I am really curious as I would like to know others thoughts on this. Talking to others outside of the salon I have noticed a huge shift in public opinion.

I'm intereted in learning:
a) If this is happening and the industry recognizes it.
b) If this is happening but the industry is reluctant to see it.
c) If I'm out to lunch and little has changed.

It seems other owners don't want to talk about it much anyway. Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Team TanTalk

Rep Power: 21 House of Tan has a spectacular aura about House of Tan has a spectacular aura about

B is the correct answer. My salon also does hair, and I think that salon owners that only do tanning (including spray) are buffered against just how bad it is. They are surrounded by like minds and do not realize that the ratio of "anti-tanning mindsets" is increasing year after year.

The bigger issue is the degree of disgust for tanning beds. That Jersey mom could face 10 years in prison and her bail was something like $10k. Even if her kid went in to the room with her, it should not be a felony! In the late 90’s we had many pre-teens that would tan with their parents just before a vacation to a tropical area. This saved many pale white kids from Indiana from major, damaging burns. Now this is a felony! Now you are told to slather chemical sunscreen all over you child… but trust them… It’s safe ;)
Old 05-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by House of Tan View Post
B is the correct answer. My salon also does hair, and I think that salon owners that only do tanning (including spray) are buffered against just how bad it is. They are surrounded by like minds and do not realize that the ratio of "anti-tanning mindsets" is increasing year after year.

The bigger issue is the degree of disgust for tanning beds. That Jersey mom could face 10 years in prison and her bail was something like $10k. Even if her kid went in to the room with her, it should not be a felony! In the late 90’s we had many pre-teens that would tan with their parents just before a vacation to a tropical area. This saved many pale white kids from Indiana from major, damaging burns. Now this is a felony! Now you are told to slather chemical sunscreen all over you child… but trust them… It’s safe ;)
Thank you for the reply. I think you may be right. Evidence in the real world tells me that there is a huge public shift in the perception about tanning which appears to be being pushed by someone or something. I appreciate your honest feedback and perhaps awareness will get more owners interested in addressing it. It appears that the JCTA could do a better job getting the message out to our own industry.

This Press Release by JCTA is a good example of the concern being raised in this post:
http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/9697...efuses-meeting
Old 05-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Team TanTalk

Rep Power: 21 House of Tan has a spectacular aura about House of Tan has a spectacular aura about

The JCTA is doing a wonderful job compared to the ITA.

Smart Tan should be our new industry association leader here in the States; they have thier stuff together and Joe Levy is a great frontman.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by House of Tan View Post
The JCTA is doing a wonderful job compared to the ITA.

Smart Tan should be our new industry association leader here in the States; they have thier stuff together and Joe Levy is a great frontman.
Good feedback. I did not mean to suggest JCTA is not doing a good job. It is good that there is an entity working on the industries behalf. But clearly there is a long way to go if the industry in general has put their head in the sand. At this point I would suggest that the tanning industry is losing the public opinion campaign. Perhaps this kind of discussion will help open some eyes.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Your post makes me want to jump off of a tall bridge.
The Spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spook View Post
Your post makes me want to jump off of a tall bridge.
Hi The Spook,

Hahaha... good one. But in all seriousness what do you mean by such a statment? Is the post negative or is it an eyes wide open constructive observation? Are you coming from the perspective of an owner who is experiencing a tough go these days?

I hope you and everyone else is honest about your situation. I think it is good for us all to 'say it like it is' instead of burrying our head in the sand or pretending all is great when it isn't. Hope to hear back.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Guy View Post
But in all seriousness what do you mean by such a statment? Is the post negative or is it an eyes wide open constructive observation? Are you coming from the perspective of an owner who is experiencing a tough go these days? I think it is good for us all to 'say it like it is' instead of burrying our head in the sand or pretending all is great when it isn't.
Hmm, hard to say if I'm in some sort of denial. On the one hand, I know my situation is pretty shitty. On the other hand, for some reason, I've had a hard time seeing the writing on the wall and cutting my losses. It's hard to throw away the investment (even if doing so saves me money in the future).

Either way, it's depressing comparing my numbers to what you consider average, but I already knew I wasn't making enough money. Here's hoping I get through another JASON (or learn to accept defeat).
The Spook is offline   Reply With Quote