Go Back   tanTALK - Tanning Salon Business Owners Community > TanTalk Central > New To The Tanning Business

New To The Tanning Business Interested or Future Salon Business Owners discuss Topics Here and Ask Questions To The Pros.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2014, 06:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 25 2012
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0 sunnyboy is on a distinguished road
Adding beds to a small space advice please.

I own a successful screen printing, embroidery and sewing business. I have a large space on the side of my shop that could easily be converted into tanning rooms with little cost (other than the tan equipment) and effort. I love what I do, I am very successful at my current business but I want to expand. I have cash on hand. I have allocated $30,000 out of my budget for business expansion. I have upgraded all my current business equipment and still have quite a bit of money left. I am well aware of my tanning completion, there is 1 gas station down the road that has 3 low pressure beds and they never change their bulbs and 3 suntan cities over 30 miles away. I have worked hard to establish my current business and a friend suggested I put beds in the space I mentioned above. I want to know if I did venture into the tanning business, what your best advice is. My shop is located on a little country road off the beaten path. I know not the best location for a business, but I do have a very successful business otherwise. The road where my business is located is a short cut to the interstate. So there is a whole lot of traffic.
sunnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Team TanTalk
 
Join Date: Nov 23 2004
Location: ITA Member & Berman Supporter!
Posts: 3,112
Rep Power: 18 sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adding beds to a small space advice please.

A few things to consider:

1. Look at how much electrical capacity you have available right now. Tanning beds typically run on anything from 20A-100A breakers (single or 3 phase will make a difference). IF you have to do an electrical upgrade - that can eat up a LOT of your $30K budget! So check into that before you go any further and know what you have to work with!

2. Same issue - HVAC tonnage. Tanning beds put out heat, and usually recommend anywhere from an extra .5 ton to 3 tons of AC per bed (most run in the .5-1 ton range). Again - if you are tight on AC as it stand now with your existing business - this is a cost you would have to factor in

For your beds - find out more details about what the local gas station is offering. They COULD order new lamps and "freshen up" quickly in response to you. So make sure you are offering something different!

IF you have the electrical space - that could mean that you would be able to offer 1-3 "higher end" type units. I wouldn't put in a typical 100W level 1 type bed. More likely to consider a nice stand-up and/or some older (less cost) but well reconditioned more powerful units. Something where customers can come in 1-2x/week and get plenty of "result".

Finally - normally I might recommend a spray booth. However, no matter WHAT you do - they are notoriously messy!! With your other business - fabrics - there is NO way I would consider a spray for your situation unless you are CERTAIN you could "contain" it away from any of your other business surfaces/materials/storage etc.
sunsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 21 2004
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 1,498
Rep Power: 14 Steve Underhill has a spectacular aura about Steve Underhill has a spectacular aura about Steve Underhill has a spectacular aura about
Re: Adding beds to a small space advice please.

I think you will find that sunsally can make the appropriate suggestion for your tanning equipment and provide it for you at a fair price. The best part is she stands behind all of her reconditioned equipment.
__________________
Stephen Underhill
Consultant
steve@smuconsulting.com
Steve Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 19 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 930
Rep Power: 7 Black Sun is on a distinguished road
Re: Adding beds to a small space advice please.

This is why the tanning industry is on the skids...why a buying public does not take the industry seriously..tanning in a gas station.....tanning part of a screen print business...REALLY PEOPLE???

Take me back to the 80's..
Black Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 30 2008
Location: michigan
Posts: 791
Rep Power: 10 sunrisetan is on a distinguished road
Re: Adding beds to a small space advice please.

Really? Advice? Go down a different road. Seriously please, do not add tanning to a screen print shop as I wouldn't add a screen printing business to my successful tanning salon. Opening up with separate location, space...possibly.
sunrisetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Team TanTalk
 
Join Date: Nov 23 2004
Location: ITA Member & Berman Supporter!
Posts: 3,112
Rep Power: 18 sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adding beds to a small space advice please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sun View Post
This is why the tanning industry is on the skids...why a buying public does not take the industry seriously..tanning in a gas station.....tanning part of a screen print business...REALLY PEOPLE???

Take me back to the 80's..
I disagree.

Not every market needs/wants a "full scale salon" - of any form.

If you watch Diners, Drive-ins and Dives you will see that there is a (more than one?) gas station offering up GREAT food!

For 30K - they could EASILY add in some tanning units and make additional revenue! Why go rent a separate location that needs separate staffing etc etc?

It might not work in a major market. But it isn't unusual at all in smaller towns. Also salons built into homes, gift shops, hair salons, nail spas, florists, gyms and many many other options.

And I don't think the people in this town will "not take the industry seriously" as a result. They will appreciate the opportunity - rather than having to drive 30 miles to the closest STC!
sunsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 30 2008
Location: michigan
Posts: 791
Rep Power: 10 sunrisetan is on a distinguished road
Re: Adding beds to a small space advice please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsally View Post
I disagree.

Not every market needs/wants a "full scale salon" - of any form.

If you watch Diners, Drive-ins and Dives you will see that there is a (more than one?) gas station offering up GREAT food!

For 30K - they could EASILY add in some tanning units and make additional revenue! Why go rent a separate location that needs separate staffing etc etc?

It might not work in a major market. But it isn't unusual at all in smaller towns. Also salons built into homes, gift shops, hair salons, nail spas, florists, gyms and many many other options.

And I don't think the people in this town will "not take the industry seriously" as a result. They will appreciate the opportunity - rather than having to drive 30 miles to the closest STC!
Maybe you'd feel differently if they were choosing to sell used tanning units with their screen printing business?
sunrisetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 25 2012
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0 sunnyboy is on a distinguished road
Re: Adding beds to a small space advice please.

First and foremost thank you sunsally for your advice. I have given thought about the electric and hvac. The building where my business is located was a small plastics factory and most of the equipment run there was hot and was outfitted with 3phase electric. Thus, my friend an electrical engineer suggested installing tanning beds in the first place. The HVAC needs some work and I will discuss this with one of my current clients who own a commercial HVAC company. So I think I can feasibly install some beds for extra revenue. As you stated in your post sunsally, I do not think that in my small town of 15000 would not disrespect any industry. I understand why the owner of the gas station installed tanning beds in the first place. I can assure you the last thing on any of our minds or any successful business owners mind is disrespecting any industry. We are too busy diversifying and growing our businesses to worry about that. There was a tanning only salon located in the busiest part of town. I was even a frequent client of theirs and they had what appeared to be a very successful business, but they closed only after 3 years of in business. I have been in business for 12 years and had great success. I have many ventures going on at my store. Why is it such a terrible thing to place tanning beds in there as well. I have found success in many areas, I have a nail tech that works in my store and I also allow an older gentleman set up his vegetable booth in my parking lot during the summer months. Both of these folks do very well for themselves and bring people in. I am a transplant to my little community and everyone has taken me in with open arms and showered their generosity upon me and mine. I am sure this little town would support this venture also. I was not even considering a spray unit, but I might if I could contain the mess. I will have to do a little more investigating before jumping in the deep end. Thanks again for your input and advice.
sunnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Team TanTalk
 
Join Date: Nov 23 2004
Location: ITA Member & Berman Supporter!
Posts: 3,112
Rep Power: 18 sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adding beds to a small space advice please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetan View Post
Maybe you'd feel differently if they were choosing to sell used tanning units with their screen printing business?
I have been a multi-salon owner for 10 years.

Prior to being in the tanning industry, I was a mgt consultant for Fortune 500 clients. I now bring those skills and experiences to small business and have helped set up or advise hundreds and probably thousands of salons over the past decade.

For 2.5 years, I was VP of Sales at Highline Capital and was able to provide $10M++ in financing to salon owners as well as a great deal of help in structuring their businesses.

I sold new equipment for Ergo, Iso Italia, Tan America and KBL prior to specializing in high-end reconditioned equipment in 2006.

So - if they were reputable, did what they said they would do and provided a good quality used piece of equipment to salon owners in this industry so they could make a living - I could care less if they did it in conjunction with ANY business, screen printing or otherwise. Frankly, the majority of the re-sellers in this industry are a bigger embarrassment to me than someone like that would be!

NOW - if you are implying that I am somehow "hurting" the industry by giving honest advice here -- then I am quite offended. However, I will let my reputation - and long list of appreciative clients - speak for me on that.
sunsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 30 2008
Location: michigan
Posts: 791
Rep Power: 10 sunrisetan is on a distinguished road
Re: Adding beds to a small space advice please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsally View Post
I have been a multi-salon owner for 10 years.

Prior to being in the tanning industry, I was a mgt consultant for Fortune 500 clients. I now bring those skills and experiences to small business and have helped set up or advise hundreds and probably thousands of salons over the past decade.

For 2.5 years, I was VP of Sales at Highline Capital and was able to provide $10M++ in financing to salon owners as well as a great deal of help in structuring their businesses.

I sold new equipment for Ergo, Iso Italia, Tan America and KBL prior to specializing in high-end reconditioned equipment in 2006.

So - if they were reputable, did what they said they would do and provided a good quality used piece of equipment to salon owners in this industry so they could make a living - I could care less if they did it in conjunction with ANY business, screen printing or otherwise. Frankly, the majority of the re-sellers in this industry are a bigger embarrassment to me than someone like that would be!

NOW - if you are implying that I am somehow "hurting" the industry by giving honest advice here -- then I am quite offended. However, I will let my reputation - and long list of appreciative clients - speak for me on that.
I know you have a lot to give and have gave...but the majority of salon owners would cringe at the idea of a screen printing business offering tanning. You have a vested interest...selling to anyone wanting to open a tanning salon. I understand this.
sunrisetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Small Salon Owner Needs Advice Jspan0555 General Tanning Industry Discussions 15 05-26-2014 03:05 PM
Great High Pressure For Small Space- Small Price! TTSUN For Sale - FOR SALON OWNERS ONLY 0 03-26-2014 04:02 PM
Adding Beds sm0kin Technology Forum 2 03-12-2006 11:58 PM
Small town operation needing bed advice... Fairlane New To The Tanning Business 4 04-27-2005 08:57 PM
ADDING BEDS roccorm57 New To The Tanning Business 23 09-23-2004 09:01 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0
Copyright 2009 - tanTALK.com

click here for advertising info!