Go Back   tanTALK - Tanning Salon Business Owners Community > TanTalk Central > New To The Tanning Business

New To The Tanning Business Interested or Future Salon Business Owners discuss Topics Here and Ask Questions To The Pros.

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2014, 09:02 AM   #21 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 18 2005
Location: GA
Posts: 1,153
Rep Power: 13 peach will become famous soon enough
Re: Anyone use SMU Consulting to start up?

Sunsally is 100% right, operating a salon or a number of salons in no way makes you qualified to be a business consultant.

Huh? If that is true, then what WOULD make you Qualified? (another one of those head shakers from Steve)
peach is offline  
Old 07-28-2014, 09:02 AM   #22 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Sep 20 2012
Location: Osceola, Iowa
Posts: 142
Rep Power: 5 earthangels is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone use SMU Consulting to start up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
how those heartlands working for you? :) Did you get any standups?
I haven't had any problems with the Heartland beds. Minor issues that were easily fixed. I have one 54Hundred and two 34Hundreds. I didn't do a stand-up and haven't had anyone ask for one. Should a day come where I decide to add, space will probably make me lean to a stand-up but not at this time.

I will also add that when I first spoke with SMU, I had an idea of what I wanted and a stand-up was in the mix. After discussing my options and budget, we went with the three listed above.
earthangels is offline  
Old 07-28-2014, 11:58 PM   #23 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 30 2007
Location: Naples FL
Posts: 726
Rep Power: 11 Tony is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone use SMU Consulting to start up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthangels View Post
I haven't had any problems with the Heartland beds. Minor issues that were easily fixed. I have one 54Hundred and two 34Hundreds. I didn't do a stand-up and haven't had anyone ask for one. Should a day come where I decide to add, space will probably make me lean to a stand-up but not at this time.

I will also add that when I first spoke with SMU, I had an idea of what I wanted and a stand-up was in the mix. After discussing my options and budget, we went with the three listed above.
i will sell you a heartland standup for $1000 bucks
Tony is offline  
Old 07-29-2014, 04:26 AM   #24 (permalink)
DH
 
Join Date: Dec 13 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 297
Rep Power: 16 DH will become famous soon enough
Re: Anyone use SMU Consulting to start up?

I'll tell you that I have standups that have a line waiting on them. The men love standups and women rotate in them to get areas hard to do in a laydown!

BUT not all standups are equal.
DH is offline  
Old 07-29-2014, 04:42 AM   #25 (permalink)
DH
 
Join Date: Dec 13 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 297
Rep Power: 16 DH will become famous soon enough
Re: Anyone use SMU Consulting to start up?

As far as consulting goes, I use a business coach that has never step foot in a tanning salon until ours.

He still guides us on business matters to help us grow a BUSINESS and not a hobby. We've grown substantially every year since we opened and we've had a on going relationship for four years and his ROI is massive IMHO.

I'm kinda glad that he doesn't have any tanning industry experience. This forces me to do my own research by visiting sites like this one. If I had a consultant that did everything for me, then my salon would the consultants with me operating it for him.
DH is offline  
Old 07-29-2014, 05:57 AM   #26 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 18 2005
Location: GA
Posts: 1,153
Rep Power: 13 peach will become famous soon enough
Re: Anyone use SMU Consulting to start up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH View Post
I'll tell you that I have standups that have a line waiting on them. The men love standups and women rotate in them to get areas hard to do in a laydown!

BUT not all standups are equal.
I have a 20 bed salon with 5 stand-ups; from a 40 lamp 160 watt unit with a 15 session to a 16000 watt HP stand up with a 8 minute session time. That sets my salon apart from my competition.
peach is offline  
Old 07-29-2014, 06:00 AM   #27 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 18 2005
Location: GA
Posts: 1,153
Rep Power: 13 peach will become famous soon enough
Re: Anyone use SMU Consulting to start up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH View Post
As far as consulting goes, I use a business coach that has never step foot in a tanning salon until ours.

He still guides us on business matters to help us grow a BUSINESS and not a hobby. We've grown substantially every year since we opened and we've had a on going relationship for four years and his ROI is massive IMHO.

I'm kinda glad that he doesn't have any tanning industry experience. This forces me to do my own research by visiting sites like this one. If I had a consultant that did everything for me, then my salon would the consultants with me operating it for him.
General business experience is great; I have a business degree and an MBA. But if I were starting off in this business and wanted help, I would want to get advise from an industry pro, concerning leasing, store layout, bed selection etc. That would save you tons of time , effort and money.
peach is offline  
Old 07-29-2014, 08:23 PM   #28 (permalink)
DH
 
Join Date: Dec 13 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 297
Rep Power: 16 DH will become famous soon enough
Re: Anyone use SMU Consulting to start up?

All that info can be gained on sites like this. I opened my salon with information gained on these sites and a few books. My point is if you rely on ONE person for all your info instead of multiple sources of information, your chances of failure increase dramatically due to the lack of brainstorming.
DH is offline  
Old 07-29-2014, 09:00 PM   #29 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 18 2005
Location: GA
Posts: 1,153
Rep Power: 13 peach will become famous soon enough
Re: Anyone use SMU Consulting to start up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH View Post
All that info can be gained on sites like this. I opened my salon with information gained on these sites and a few books. My point is if you rely on ONE person for all your info instead of multiple sources of information, your chances of failure increase dramatically due to the lack of brainstorming.
I started with a lot less info than that. But you are right; depending on someone else in life is not a good way to be successful.
peach is offline  
Old 08-01-2014, 01:04 PM   #30 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 21 2004
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 1,498
Rep Power: 14 Steve Underhill has a spectacular aura about Steve Underhill has a spectacular aura about Steve Underhill has a spectacular aura about
Re: Anyone use SMU Consulting to start up?

Stand up equipment is very important for a tanning salon, however if you are only going to have 3 tanning systems it in my opinion smarter to lock down the tanning bed needs first. To have two levels in a 3 system salon almost dictates they all be beds. If a 4th system was being added on level two I would most certainly suggest a booth. It is all about properly evaluating your market and particular situation.
__________________
Stephen Underhill
Consultant
steve@smuconsulting.com
Steve Underhill is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many beds to start? SDJ New To The Tanning Business 6 09-11-2006 07:54 AM
helios to tmax, how to start membership next day (delayed package) NewportTan Technology Forum 1 01-11-2005 10:39 PM
Getting ready to start tanning again! HimmyLover General Tanning Industry Discussions 9 01-08-2004 04:37 PM
Where do I start? DeanGA New To The Tanning Business 3 06-21-2003 12:12 AM
Start up costs around 100k? AngieBaby General Tanning Industry Discussions 2 05-01-2001 12:47 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0
Copyright 2009 - tanTALK.com

click here for advertising info!