Go Back   tanTALK - Tanning Salon Business Owners Community > TanTalk Central > Canadian Forum

Canadian Forum For our friends to the North.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 19 2012
Location: BC
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 0 Good_Guy is on a distinguished road
Re: Negative publicity, recession and less volume. (The elephant in the room)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spook View Post
Hmm, hard to say if I'm in some sort of denial. On the one hand, I know my situation is pretty shitty. On the other hand, for some reason, I've had a hard time seeing the writing on the wall and cutting my losses. It's hard to throw away the investment (even if doing so saves me money in the future).

Either way, it's depressing comparing my numbers to what you consider average, but I already knew I wasn't making enough money. Here's hoping I get through another JASON (or learn to accept defeat).
Again I find your feedback interesting. Let ask you this. When did you start in the industry as an owner? Did you open or buy prior to 2007? Has your salon always had a tough go from the start or have you seen a change since 2008? We have observed and heard from others that 2008 was the turnigng point starting with consumers spending habits changing and now that along with negative publicity. But maybe not. Thoughts? Anyone else?
Good_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
 
The Spook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 190
Rep Power: 8 The Spook is on a distinguished road
Re: Negative publicity, recession and less volume. (The elephant in the room)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Guy View Post
Let ask you this. When did you start in the industry as an owner? Did you open or buy prior to 2007? Has your salon always had a tough go from the start or have you seen a change since 2008?
I purchased the salon in November 2009. It's been doing shitty ever since. So yes, I am relatively new to the industry and know not of the "good old days." I don't blame anyone but myself*. Poor due diligence...

*and Obama, who can go to h e l l
The Spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 19 2012
Location: BC
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 0 Good_Guy is on a distinguished road
Re: Negative publicity, recession and less volume. (The elephant in the room)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spook View Post
I purchased the salon in November 2009. It's been doing shitty ever since. So yes, I am relatively new to the industry and know not of the "good old days." I don't blame anyone but myself*. Poor due diligence...

*and Obama, who can go to h e l l
How did the salon do before you bought it? Did their numbers appear good from past years? (Appropriate political views). I wish you luck with your business. Tough spot.
Good_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Oct 24 2008
Location: Brantford, Ontario
Posts: 6
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 0 Lady Twilight is on a distinguished road
Re: Negative publicity, recession and less volume. (The elephant in the room)

I feel very fortunate to say that I have done between 250-300k each year I've been open since late 2008. Started with 4 ergo beds, built new, great location but compete with 20 salons in my town. Have expanded to 5 beds, introduced airbrush and have a versaspa coming in a few weeks. However, I have definitely noticed a decline this April vs. last year. Every time there is something negative in the media we seem to slow down for a few days but April was the first time I saw a difference financially. This May is on track with last year but no increase in revenue. Hopefully this JASON won't be too horrible with the introduction of the versaspa.
Lady Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 19 2012
Location: BC
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 0 Good_Guy is on a distinguished road
Re: Negative publicity, recession and less volume. (The elephant in the room)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Twilight View Post
I feel very fortunate to say that I have done between 250-300k each year I've been open since late 2008. Started with 4 ergo beds, built new, great location but compete with 20 salons in my town. Have expanded to 5 beds, introduced airbrush and have a versaspa coming in a few weeks. However, I have definitely noticed a decline this April vs. last year. Every time there is something negative in the media we seem to slow down for a few days but April was the first time I saw a difference financially. This May is on track with last year but no increase in revenue. Hopefully this JASON won't be too horrible with the introduction of the versaspa.
Thanks for the feedback and great job with $250-$300k sales/yr since 2008 with only 5 beds. That sounds great to say the least.

Anyone else out there with number like this?
Good_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Sep 26 2011
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Posts: 89
Rep Power: 0 markee88 is on a distinguished road
Re: Negative publicity, recession and less volume. (The elephant in the room)

We have 6 beds and spray tanning we are getting in red light next week and our numbers dont even touch what you guys consider average i'm also rebuilding a salon that was run into the ground so hoping red light helps up through jason
markee88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
 
The Spook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 190
Rep Power: 8 The Spook is on a distinguished road
Re: Negative publicity, recession and less volume. (The elephant in the room)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markee88 View Post
We have 6 beds and spray tanning we are getting in red light next week and our numbers dont even touch what you guys consider average i'm also rebuilding a salon that was run into the ground so hoping red light helps up through jason
I have 8 UV, 2 red light, 1 Mystic booth, airbrush and far fewer than 20 competitors and we don't come close to those numbers either. ;)
The Spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 19 2012
Location: BC
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 0 Good_Guy is on a distinguished road
Re: Negative publicity, recession and less volume. (The elephant in the room)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markee88 View Post
We have 6 beds and spray tanning we are getting in red light next week and our numbers dont even touch what you guys consider average i'm also rebuilding a salon that was run into the ground so hoping red light helps up through jason
Thanks for the great feedback. Do you mind elaborating a bit? Are you suggesting your salon numbers are much higher or lower? Can you 'ball park' your sales to help understand your comment a little better? Also, how long have you been in the industry? Have you seen a decline in sales and/or customer volume since 2008?
Good_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Sep 26 2011
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Posts: 89
Rep Power: 0 markee88 is on a distinguished road
Re: Negative publicity, recession and less volume. (The elephant in the room)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spook View Post
I have 8 UV, 2 red light, 1 Mystic booth, airbrush and far fewer than 20 competitors and we don't come close to those numbers either. ;)
Spook?? Did red light help increase revenue??
markee88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 19 2012
Location: BC
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 0 Good_Guy is on a distinguished road
Re: Negative publicity, recession and less volume. (The elephant in the room)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spook View Post
I have 8 UV, 2 red light, 1 Mystic booth, airbrush and far fewer than 20 competitors and we don't come close to those numbers either. ;)
Intersting. In other words your saying $250k-$300k for 6 beds plus a spray booth sounds exagerated? Before 2007 I know it was possible but I haven't seen traffic like that for many years now. I considered that high volume and above average but I know it was possible back then.

But this is the whole point of the post. The traffic just isn't the same as it used to be. It seems to me that the industry is a lot different post 2008. It makes me wonder how salons can support the payments on the new $30,000-50,000 tanning beds. It is interesting to get more feedback on what may be considered good sales. I hope the comments keep coming in.
Good_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Elephant in the Living Room? TED HUTCHINSON The Benefits of UV Light 9 08-04-2007 08:48 PM
White Elephant Gift PeppermintPatty Say What ????? 18 12-08-2005 12:47 PM
To do volume or not to do volume that is the question?? uvman General Tanning Industry Discussions 16 03-07-2005 09:12 PM
How To Eat An Elephant: The NAC Revisited By Ask Don! Don Smith Tanning Salon Management 32 06-01-2002 09:30 AM
Has your salon gone through a recession? LadyBlue Tanning Salon Management 2 09-28-2001 07:58 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0
Copyright 2009 - tanTALK.com

click here for advertising info!