View Single Post
Old 07-18-2001, 08:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Andy

Rep Power: 25 Andy has a spectacular aura about Andy has a spectacular aura about
CHIPPP - that question is right on the mark?Secondly, - is it freezing in a consistent point in the program?Thirdly, - do you still have Power Management engaged on the system - if you have power management in Control Panel set to put the "Hard Drive" to sleep (COMPAQ's are bad for this) it could appear that it is frozen when in fact is was asleep and is taking a long time to "wake up" - my suggestion - turn off all power management functions and restart your system.Fourth, - is the operating environment for the system - STATIC FREE - this is a major issue and the source of a large percent of problems with systems "FREEZING". Cleaning the beds or walking on a carpeted area will build up a static charge - touch the computer - ZAP - frozen or worse. If you are getting shocks - get a anti-static mat or somehow "ground" the cashier before touching the computer.Fifth, - are you on the latest and greatest version of Helios 9.2.5Hope this gives you some ideas and help to resolve the problem.Re: COMPAQ - their Server line of equipment is excellent - TOP QUALITY. I will not say the same about there Residential Line of system - I have experienced MANY problems with them - SO MUCH SHAREWARE doing what in the background - that relates to CHIPPP's point and you likely are not even aware of the functions that have been loading into memory (SysTray). Look in the lower right - whole bunch of icons - not sure what they do - could be the source of the problem - something could be conflicting with Helios. One client had 4 of these machines, it took one of my senior tech's HOURS to get rid of all that C..P, and then the machines were stable.Best of LuckSuggestion to all - invest in Business Level Hardware - NO SHAREWARE C..P - for running your BusinessIn doubt - buy your equipment from Helios in the USA and ACT in Canada. self serving plug here !!! [ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: Andy @ ATSO.ca ]
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote