Thread: Innocent error?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2015, 02:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Don Smith

Rep Power: 26 Don Smith is a splendid one to behold Don Smith is a splendid one to behold Don Smith is a splendid one to behold Don Smith is a splendid one to behold Don Smith is a splendid one to behold Don Smith is a splendid one to behold Don Smith is a splendid one to behold
Re: Innocent error?

Here is an "imaginary" conversation (that may well have taken place).

Junior researcher: Wow, boss, it looks like we made a "slight" error (by a factor of 10) and the RDA for vitamin D should be 6,000 to 8,000 IU per day and NOT 600 to 800 IU per day. What should we do to correct this mistake?

Senior researcher: What YOU should do is keep quiet about this "mistake" IF you want to keep your job. Do you actually think that I would commit professional suicide by "telling the truth" about the public needing 6,000 to 8,000 IU of vitamin D per day? If I did the dermatologists would crucify me and all of my grants would be cancelled.

Junior researcher: You mean you KNEW that the TRUE value was 6,000 to 8,000 IU per day? And "fudged" the results to show 600 to 800 IU?

Senior researcher: NOW you are "catching on" and may have a career after all. Keep in mind that the "gullible press and public" will believe anything we tell them.

Junior researcher: But, but, but - what about the truth?

Senior researcher: The truth be ******. Keeping my grants intact is all that I care about.
Don Smith is offline   Reply With Quote