View Single Post
Old 01-22-2015, 09:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
kimb3107

What I learned during the first year of owning a tanning salon

Starting a new business, no matter if it's a restaurant, hair salon, hardware store, tanning salon etc...is very risky. Customers are fickle, and don't like to adapt to change, even if it's for the better.

I have compiled a list of things I learned the first year of opening a tanning salon that I hope will be useful and/or start a conversation on other's experiences and soon-to-be salon owners worries and questions.

1. Don't do what the other guy across town is doing.
This is self-explanatory. At first, we set our prices a little lower than a chain 5 miles across town. Huge mistake! What works for them, doesn't work for us. We don't even have the same bed lineup. We brought in a lot of clients, but we weren't really making any money. Things are better now that we have restructured our pricing.

2. Don't devalue the product that you are selling.
Be prepared to know why a package or lotion costs what it does. Why would a client purchase a $100 lotion over a $40 one or why would they purchase a certain package? We needed to be prepared to know the distinct differences in all of these things and we practiced them. There is nothing worse than a client asking a question that we didn't know the answer to.

3. Have something for everyone.
We have all kinds of packages- eft, 30 day, week, sampler, single session, etc... Very rarely do we lose a client due to the fact that we don't have something they are looking for. We also carry a wide variety of products in all price ranges.

4. Do it right the first time.
Electrical and HVAC are so important- be prepared because it is very costly, but waiting and putting it in later will cost even more. We have more than enough of what we need, and are so grateful we did it right away.

5. Be prepared to be married to your business, and when you are able to hire staff, make sure that they see your vision.
Yes, I am here at least 6 days a week. If I'm not physically in the salon, my thoughts always are! I made sure I hired staff (especially a manager) that understood what I want. Customer service ALWAYS comes first. The salon must be impeccable at all times. I love to play jokes and have a good time too- having fun at your job is important, but the staff always know my expectations.

6. There is a difference between educating and badgering.
We always educate- teaching is important. Most clients don't or won't know something unless we tell them. Chasing people or making them feel like they are obligated to buy something every time they come in is awful and clients will dread coming to the counter. (This has happened to me personally). Are lotions important? Sure they are. Badgering them every visit, especially when they just purchased one is a real turnoff.

7. Keep it clean and be nice.
It's a pretty great feeling when someone comes in and tells me how beautiful the salon is and how clean it smells, and they love coming here because we are so knowledgeable and friendly. They WILL refer their friends and neighbors based on this alone.

8. Get your name out there!
Facebook, twitter, text clubs, websites, etc... are very important and cheap means to spread the word. Also become part of the community. Donate to causes, including your time. People will respect that you care about your community. The more that you are seen the better, and there are a lot of ways out there to do that without a huge expense.

9. Adapt!
Change happens every day and it is up to all of us to accept it. I met another salon owner over the weekend that has been in business for over 17 years and has never even considered adding spray tanning . She gets calls on it every day, but is scared to add it. I am heading over there within the next month to help her get started.

I read these forums almost every day, and a lot of what I see is other owners complaining that the "tanning days are gone". I don't believe this to be true. We have had great success (location is key) with clients of all ages. Is spray tanning picking up in popularity? You bet it is. I have clients that just come in and spray tan once a week for the convenience. They are still considered a "tanner" to me.

I do, however, believe that "just because you build it, doesn't mean they will come" is true. The first year was hard, that's a fact.
Hope this was useful!!!
kimb3107 is offline   Reply With Quote