View Single Post
Old 11-11-2014, 05:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
DH

Re: Advertising Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectgirl View Post
Hello! We are a newer salon- we have been open less than a year. We are next to a university. We have 11 beds, a spray booth, and custom spray as well. Since the students came back we have been busy- we are seeing around 150-160 clients a day.
We have a few things we would like some advice on though.
We have a "t-shirt day". If a client buys one of our shirts and wears it into the salon, they get a free upgrade (if they have some sort of package) and discounts on lotion. This, of course, is our busiest day. To be honest, I'm a little tired of the "free" and would like to phase it out or change it up. I will say that students do come in and tell us they see these shirts all over campus, in the classrooms, weight rooms etc... I have seen students myself wearing them on my way to and from the salon. Should we keep doing it as long as it's popular? I just don't want to over use upgrades to the point that nobody buys them- they just wait for that day.
Also- we were approached by the university athletics program about advertising. The package includes having our salon's "shirt night" where the cheer/dance teams wear them, and they do giveaways with a certain amount. There would be banners above where the players come out, in the bathrooms, weight rooms, on the scoreboard, and they would talk about us during intermission. We would be on their website, facebook page. The signage would stay for 2 years. The campus radio station wants to interview us, etc... The package is $6500 for a 2 year commitment. Is it worth it?
What are your thoughts?
I would say your tshirt program is hugh success without more info. Hopefully your tshirt day is on one of your slower days. Most salons would kill to have 150 people a day especially their first year in business.

There's no way I would stop it until my new client sign ups flat lined from this program. I would pursue other avenues to target your client base as well. Most people find one way that works and when it drys up, they wonder where it all went wrong.

I personally like your grass roots/word of mouth marketing much more than using the schools system to target the kids BUT I'd be careful in how you go about this because they may be able ban your tshirts thus ending your program FORCING you to pay. This may be one of those pay to play but I'd continue the tshirt program regardless.

Lastly, don't forget you have other clients NOT in school that you may be able to acquire to keep revenue flowing when schools out.
DH is offline   Reply With Quote