Thread: bad sign
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2014, 06:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Steve Underhill

Rep Power: 20 Steve Underhill has a spectacular aura about Steve Underhill has a spectacular aura about Steve Underhill has a spectacular aura about
Re: bad sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by peach View Post
He clearly does not pay attention to anyone on this site. Parrot does business in a college town. And he's marketing to 50 yr olds? He has no local competition. So he is a perfect "canary" in the mine of the tanning industry.

Also, no one is going to make it in this industry strictly on UV free tanning. That might be 25% of one's business model at best. It is UV tanning that is in decline and Steve knows it. The misinformation is really disturbing.

The end game for indoor UV tanning will be that it will become so regulated that you will need to be a licensed healthcare professional to administer it. So Steve is right, tanning will never go away, however, soon the average person will not be able to operate a salon by themselves.

Of course the big names in the tanning industry won't mind that; they will hire a couple of derms, put them on the payroll in order to administer their company tanning programs. This will effectively eliminate what is left of their independent competition.
UV tanning is not declining, it is changing because how tanners tan is changing. Spray tanning is the fastest growing segment of the tanning industry and should be promoted accordingly.

When there is bad press for UV, promote spray tanning , bad press impact tanning for short periods of time because the consumer has a short memory. People will not stop doing something that they enjoy and makes them feel good.

There will always be short term reactions to bad PR but it is quickly forgotten. It is all about being aware and making adjustments. Most of you I would never allow to manage a salon because of the way you react to things. Be like water, if something gets in your way find the best way around it. It is simply overcoming objections like with any sale. I want people that are looking for a solution , not a person that only complains about the problem. Most operators only need an attitude change.
Steve Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote