View Single Post
Old 07-29-2014, 03:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Don Smith

Rep Power: 26 Don Smith is a splendid one to behold Don Smith is a splendid one to behold Don Smith is a splendid one to behold Don Smith is a splendid one to behold Don Smith is a splendid one to behold Don Smith is a splendid one to behold Don Smith is a splendid one to behold
Re: Which comes first?

I asked the question: "Is the stimulation of vitamin D the "primary" (i.e., the most important) result/benefit of UVR exposure?"

Feel free to disagree but I believe that the stimulation of vitamin D by UVR is a "secondary" benefit, albeit a very, very important one. The most important benefit (IMHO) is the development of photo-protective, thermo-protective and immuno-protective facultative pigmentation, a.k.a., a "tan". The fact that vitamin D is stimulated at the same time you are developing a tan is a valuable "fringe benefit".

Think about it: From an evolutionary point of view the ability to increase your tolerance to UVR (and decreasing your sensitivity to UVR) made it possible to spend more time outdoors in sunlight hunting, fishing and farming; all activities necessary for survival.

That is why I have come to believe that the best way to "change the discussion about indoor tanning" is to focus on the incontrovertible benefits of developing a tan and only secondarily about the "side benefit" of stimulating vitamin D. In summary, the message should be that the client gets two benefits for the price of one.
Don Smith is offline   Reply With Quote