Thread: Selling Salon
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 05:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
crosbytan

Re: Selling Salon

I think there's good points in both posts, The salon I took over was a struggling salon that's been in my family so I've seen the good days and the decline. When I took over I started marketing on social media. Facebook is key to our salon. Then the biggest change for us is the sales techniques. Not what bed do you want but what lotion do you want to try today. We had the best Year the salon has ever had and that includes the glory days. Doubled last years total revenue. The reason salons are going down in my opinion is the price of the equipment and the technology that has been added just to simply log in a customer. $1500 for a computer software to track your visits and customer database? A little excessive for a business that rarely brings in a profit in the last 6 months of the year. Salons that bought $100k worth of equipment in 1998 are now having to update their equipment. $100k for 7 beds in 1998 now will cost $200k+ but let me ask you.. Are your prices double what they were in the glory days??? no. Could you possibly charge double with your outdated equipment??? no. Buy up a closing salons used equip. for 1/4 of the price put some new blood in the veins and broadcast it via social media. The only way to survive is to change get out of the routine or "rut" you might be stuck in and let someone else take the wheel. Let your most intelligent 20 year old employee run your salon for one month. Pick December for example. Tell them if they profit over what you did last December you'll give them 10% of that profit as incentive. I promise this will open your eyes if you have hired the right employees. My girls run my salon as a team. I have given them the decision to pick product make schedule and create specials. Each one has a different opinion and together they all work! They do a great job and are the face of the salon. WE are ugly the girls we hire.... GORGEOUS 90% of the time... So put them in front let them run it see what they come up with. it's worth a shot
crosbytan is offline   Reply With Quote