View Single Post
Old 04-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Don Smith

Rep Power: 26 Don Smith is a splendid one to behold Don Smith is a splendid one to behold Don Smith is a splendid one to behold Don Smith is a splendid one to behold Don Smith is a splendid one to behold Don Smith is a splendid one to behold Don Smith is a splendid one to behold
Smile They are coming around....

They (the medical profession) are "coming around" and agreeing with the "optimal" blood level of vitamin D (25-OH-D) that I first proposed over ten years ago (that was universally criticized by the vitamin D "experts").

The optimal level I proposed was >150 nmol/L (60 ng/ml) to maintain "optimal health" and >200 nmol/L (80 ng/ml) for therapeutic use (i.e. to treat disease). [Note: I now believe that the therapeutic level should be >250 nmol/L (100 ng/ml).]

Here is what Dr. Hyman had to say in a recent (and very good) article (click on link below to access this article).

"Get tested for 25 OH vitamin D. The current ranges for “normal” are 25 to 137 nmol/L or 10 to 55 ng/ml. These are fine if you want to prevent rickets – but NOT for optimal health. In that case, the range should be 100 to 160 nmol/L or 40 to 65 ng/ml. In the future, we may raise this “optimal” level even higher."

Feeling "vindicated" today

http://drhyman.com/blog/2010/08/24/v...-enough/#close
Don Smith is offline   Reply With Quote