View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #25 (permalink)
Steve Underhill

Rep Power: 21 Steve Underhill has a spectacular aura about Steve Underhill has a spectacular aura about Steve Underhill has a spectacular aura about
Re: Membership - MANY approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Steve

I been thinking. Maybe i have been a little too hard on you. I am fairly certain that you can help some salon owners. Not sure how much but
its likely enough to make a difference. My standards are very very high and its probably not fair to hold you to my standards when helping other
salon owners! So with that being said I will cut you some slack, but you would be much wiser if your grasped the absolute relevance that photo-biology
plays in our industry!

Godspeed :)
Thank you Tony, I think it is also fair to say that a tanning salon that charges $9.95 a month because it must overcome the fact that it only has one model of equipment, a 200 watt booth is not a model that can draw from the entire tanning demographic. tanners want choices and the larger percentage of tanners prefer to use a bed. Hollywood Tan already tried the all booth model and they are now dropping like flies., the ones that remain have now added beds.

I think what I see with your chain is very professionally done and the model is built around stand up tanning. The things that make that work for you do not translate to a full services salon.

None of the large chains are following this model, in fact none of the chains that you mentored are using any resemblance of your model.

I train operators how to be successful drawing from the entire spectrum of tanners. tanning is already a niche business and creating a niche within a niche is a plan that at this point is only being used by ZoomTan.

The largest % of tanners prefer to tan on beds. while I personally prefer standing i am in the minority. There is a strong % off stand up tanners and they should not be ignored. I think salons should have a major presence of booths.

The most successful salon chains in the country are not even considering your business model.

Operators should be careful not to take to much advice unless they are planning on opening an all booth salon.

You are growing your company very quickly, that says a lot for you and your drive. Tanning started with booth only tanning and progressed way beyond that model.

It is probably realistic to say that only 25% of todays tanners prefer stand up tanning.

Your operation is obviously very efficient, with a small footprint, very short exposure times at an incredibly low price. However you can't draw from the entire tanning population.

By the way very nice You tube and TV spots.
I guess the reason you do not show your equipment on web sites is because if tanners see it is only booths they will not try your salon.

Also I called your customer service contact line and the girl I spoke to does not know the difference in high pressure and low pressure tanning. I told her I was coming to Tampa and wanted to tan while I was there. I asked if you had High Pressure equipment. She said all of our booths are High Pressure. I asked if she knows the difference in high pressure and low pressure lamps and she said no. When I explained it to her, she said you mean like the blue facial lamps on the beds I tan on.

One of the first thing I teach operators is the importance of having an educated staff. Since you can't call any of your salons directly and you must speak to a customer service rep they should know your product.

You said some of the big guys are offering $9.95 tanning, can you tell me who they are other than planet fitness that offers it as an add on to the fitness membership.
Steve Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote