View Single Post
Old 03-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Steve Underhill

Rep Power: 21 Steve Underhill has a spectacular aura about Steve Underhill has a spectacular aura about Steve Underhill has a spectacular aura about
Re: Membership - MANY approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
My sales have been up every year for the last 6 years. I had one down year since 1985. All the things people whine about here is effecting them because they fail to execute properly!

Steve i did paid consulting in the 90's. I use to fill my marketing classes for $500 a head. I literally sold out every class. I gave tours to my stores with motor coach busloads of salon owners during the shows in Chicago. Some of my young students where Tony Hartl (Planet Tan), Todd Beckman (Tan Company), Bart Bonn (Ashley Lynns and now Palm Beach). All 3 went on to great accomplishments in our industry! I could name many more! I did what you do with fervor, passion, experience and strategy that I sincerely believe was unmatched then and now! Once again I am not trying to be braggadocious. I just want you to understand where I am coming from and why!
Tony not everything is directed at you. Why are you so defensive? We all acknowledge you are so impressive. When I give advice I am not directing it to you. I am directing it to anyone it applies to. Many of these people you mention I sold some of their first equipment too. You have a very extensive background, we are all impressed with your years of experience. There are many of us with that much experience and more. We all have knowledge to share. I am sure it makes you feel good when someone you have worked with becomes successful, I know I have a great sense of pride when my clients do well.

Please I ask you to realize that when I post or answer your post it is not directed to you it is only another view or approach. What you believe is not being challenged. But your belief like mine are not the only views to a subject.

There are people and companies that are respected for giving advice in this industry that have no experience in the industry. And yet here we are with more than half a century of experience in the industry bumping heads. Please stop taking things personal.

I think you are doing great down in your corner of the country.

Tony I have known you since you got started in this business. Again good job. You do not need assistance. I agree salon operators today do not execute very well but a bigger problem is the lack of a business model that works today. I am sure you will agree that the business model you believe in 10. 20, or 30 years ago would fall flat today. Change to keep up with todays consumer is what is needed.

The salons that I restructure don't show small improvements they show huge improvements in maximizing income potential. I am sure that with guidance from you, operators can also make changes. I believe in not under valuing tanning and you appear to believe the new age is to sell tanning at low prices requiring huge membership bases. There is room for any type of business model that works. I see a few salons selling tanning for $10 a month. I am anxious to see how that model survives. I see how it works in a fitness center setting when attached to the gym membership, handled as a secondary service, not convinced that it will work stand alone in all tanning salons. I think tanners want a higher level of customer service than is provided when tanning is a secondary service.

Tony I started in the tanning business in 1979, it is safe to say that I also live, eat and breath tanning because that is what I have done for 35 years. I love this business and the people in it. I am still having fun. I am listening because I still learn new things every day. I have certainly changed strategies over the years because you have to in order to grow. I am listening to everything you say. Still not exactly sure what you are suggesting operators do.

I know when I take on a salon the price structure is only part of the changes that must be made. I just can't get my head around selling all of your tanning for $9.99 a month. I guess when I see large groups of salons generate substantial income with that business model I will have no choice but get on board. Unfortunately the most successful chains in the country do not use that model. Even those companies that you mentioned mentoring do not use your $9.99 model. Who other than you is doing this?
Steve Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote