View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 02:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Black Sun

Re: Potential new owner with a couple of questions (reported from general thread)

Sounds like a dog of a salon. Personally, I would not even consider it. Agree with Steve, beds are totally useless. NOBODY tans in 28-32 lamp beds anymore, unless they are in a garage.

Things to be considered; purchasing of better beds. Better in quality and output. Room size; do you even have the space for larger, better beds. Adequate AC/electrical; none of the above will work if the space is inadequate or even incapable of increasing the two most important elements of salon operation. Why expensive euro walls? Yes, they look nice, but the picture of this salon you project with those beds needs a MAJOR overhaul. You would have to take over the space, gut it all out and design a whole new concept with euro-walls and better beds. While there is nothing wrong with that, in fact the THING to do, why not just find the proper space with the correct utilities already in place?

Not even knowing the salon, my guess is the current fixture can not handle the proper AC/electrical upgrade without a major expense/overhaul. Then you have to deal with landlord issues. Would they permit a re-work of the space to fit your needs? Are they willing to help incur part of the cost? Read any lease for permission for interior/exterior upgrades..who is responsible.

What is the reason the salon is being sold? Someone die? Pregnant? Personal issues? All red flags to indicate the place is losing money. And I could bet with those beds, that is the case.

Buying this business is buying someone elses misery. You are paying for their stress-relief.

TO have an up-scale salon as you envision with euro-walls, addition of 5 (pre-owned, but much better) beds, electrical upgrades, AC upgrades, fixtures and all that goes with it, expect a minimum outlay of a 100K...and that is to open the front doors...more to sustain the business the first year or two of expenses until a profit is shown. It takes 3 years at least for an upstart to show a profit.

RUN from this as fast as you can.

They should be paying you to take this off their hands.
Black Sun is offline   Reply With Quote