View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Steve Underhill

Rep Power: 16 Steve Underhill has a spectacular aura about Steve Underhill has a spectacular aura about Steve Underhill has a spectacular aura about
Re: Is a new salon a good idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimb3107 View Post
Hi! I am looking to open a new salon. It will be in a city of approx. 100,000 people, next to a university with a student body of 15,000. The next closest salon is 4-5 miles away, near a shopping mall. The building is new, landlord is negotiable with the construction. Do I have an idea here, or am I missing something? Right now, the other salon near the mall has lines out the door in the busy season, and a fairly steady stream in the slow season (I've been a customer). I would appreciate any insight, and can provide more info. It would also be a walk-in salon. Thanks!
This is not simply a college location. It is close enough to the college to draw that client while also being in a dense populated demographic. You have a dense population, low median age and the closest real competition is 5 miles away and has more business than they handle. This will not be a college salon, however you will benefit from the college greatly. Do not market to only the student.

Get it right and you will do very well.
Steve Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote