View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #55 (permalink)
sunsally
Team TanTalk

Rep Power: 19 sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where's adam.sand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peach View Post
I've been doing "things differently" now for 22 tanning seasons. Peak times are peak times-it is how you manage them; having 20 people pile into your store at once is NOT manageable. I would much rather my employees have 15 appointments and 5 walkins than 20 people who all have to be sorted and needs identified separately. Instead, if 15 people already have packages, they can be put in beds quickly and efficiently, giving you more time to spend with 5 walkins who probably need your time to SELL THEM SOMETHING.

The fallback argument always seems to be that walkins get whatever beds are available-which to me is crazy. Why have upgrade packages if you are going to give the upgrades away?

As a customer, if I saw upgrades that I paid extra $ for being given away everyday in a salon that I went to, I would be more than ticked off.

PS- doing things "the way everyone else does them" may not be the best strategy when you are trying to compete in a tough economic environment.

If 20 people walk in at one time - you still have to 'sort' them. "Who has an appointment"? "Hi - what is your name?" etc etc

Additionally - walk-ins don't get "whatever bed is available", for free.

ANYONE has the choice - at ANY time.

HERE is what we have available - NOW. Here is the cost on that to you.

HERE is what is NOT available - and how long it will be.

Every individual makes a decision - time vs. money.

I can spend more (upgrade) to get in now vs. waiting. Or I can get less "value" (e.g. go in a lower priced bed than what I have pre-paid) to get in now vs waiting.

Some people value money more, others their time.

Within that, those that do NOT like to wait also realize.........I should pick a time OTHER than the busiest time of the day for the salon.

In reality --- when you take appointments, they tend to be at fixed times....e.g. on the half hour for a 20 min bed. So at 5:00 you have a bunch of people all trying to hit that "deadline" and piling in at once.

With walk-ins, some are naturally going to arrive at 4:45, 4:50, 4:55, 5:00, 5:05, 5:10,...... In fact - the person that arrived at 4:45 is probably already out and the room is READY for the person who then shows up at 5:10.

There have been plenty of real-life examples done. Salons who HAD appointments and switched to ALL walk-ins saw more customers and made more money over the comparison time period.
sunsally is offline   Reply With Quote