View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #27 (permalink)
Bondgirl
I'm Banned

Re: Negative publicity, recession and less volume. (The elephant in the room)

They always say Canadians are nicer, apparently their thread is too LOL... i put this in the other one...GOODGUY thanks for bringing up this great question

LOBO77 - I agree with many of your assessment. I think a lot of the breakdown in good salon versus average salon is in equipment as well. Without HP (an other high end models) a small salon's chances of hitting high averages of $25,000 per tanning bed per year are impossible. I also think that at a time when we are waiting on your 3 steps to occur (don't hold your breath) it is difficult to invest in expanding any small business but ride out the storm as best you can.

Underhill is correct in that we need to market with the times, however each area of the country is unique in it's own ways and that takes precedence over blanket standard marketing plans.

My salon is in a growing area of a town, however the town is fairly stagnant as far as growth in new employment opportunities and WOW does the job market stink. I cannot give information for a good market study on the numbers prior to 2007, however i can tell you that growth has stopped this year and i see weather as the main culprit currently. We saw 8.5% growth in 2010 and 17% in 2011 (horrible winter, hotter than average summer, excellent marketing); this year i am battling to break even so far with last year and praying for an extremely hot summer so that tanners in my area will be forced inside to tan.
Bondgirl is offline   Reply With Quote