View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
sunsally
Team TanTalk

Rep Power: 25 sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Minimum age to tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinacat View Post
Hey guys! I was wondering how old your youngest customers are both for spray tanning and uv tanning. I have a customer (who used to work at another salon) who wants to tan (uv) her 11 & 13 year old step sons. I'm not sure how I feel about this and haven't answered her one way or the other.
In general:

1. Check for state regulations - if any.

2. Have them sign a waiver form on behalf of their child - as ANY client entering your salon should do for themselves (in Ohio it is mandated - can go to the Ohio Board of Cosmetology site to get an idea of the language used if your state doesn't require)

3. Ages 11 & 13? Seem prime age for tanning to clear up acne, for indoor tanning to build Vit D for kids that spend too much time indoors playing video games, for kids getting ready for a trip or the spring when they will be outside on vacation or playing sports with heavy outdoor exposure.

In your SPECIFIC example - having WORKED at a salon before - it seems they may already know and believe about the positive benefits of UV exposure - not surprising to me.

Again, think through why it "feels" any different to you than parents who would take their kids on vacation to sunny spot, let them use a pool or beach in the summer, let them play outdoor sports, etc....

Consult the Smart Tan website for more information about the "faulty science" being spread around about indoor UV tanning. Just because people keep spreading the bad information around, doesn't make it any more correct..........

Good question - one others have as well I'm sure!
sunsally is offline   Reply With Quote