View Single Post
Old 10-24-2010, 10:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
excitednewguy's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 17 2005
Location: Southeast
Posts: 374
Rep Power: 14 excitednewguy is on a distinguished road
Re: S Corp or LLC Which is best for tanning salons?

Originally Posted by Robert K View Post
Nope not exactly. There are differences.

K1 is issued from a S Corp. If you are the sole owner of an LLC it is picked up as Business income on schedule C.

No, you are wrong. A K1 is only for partnerships and is needed when filing where partners are involved.

A K-1 is used by a Partnership or S-Corporation to report a partner/shareholder's distributed share of income.
Partnerships and S-Corporations do not pay income tax. Instead, they file their corporate / partnership tax return as an informational return only. This return will distribute the net profit to the shareholders or partners based upon their percentage of stock or how the partnership agreement reads.
For example, if you own 50% of ABC Corporation, an S-Corporation, and ABC Corporation shows a $100,000 profit in 2007, you will receive a K-1 for 50% of the net profit, so $50,000. You would have to claim this $50,000 of income on your personal tax return. Because the company does not pay income tax, the net profit is passed through to the owners who pay the income tax on their personal tax returns.

An S-Corp sole member or LLC sole member is taxed exactly the same, it is a pass through recorded on the Schedule C
excitednewguy is offline   Reply With Quote