View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
olmantan

Question Have beds really changed in past 10 years?

Guys,

I am new and ignorant in this business, but as an old veteran sales guy, I know truth is murky when it comes to the difference in reality and what sales guys tell you to sell new product.
I have a friend who has been in tanning over 20 years who advised me that i could not go wrong buying the assets of dying tanning salon (he had no vested interest in the purchase) with 11 older beds in excellent condition. I have a month to month lease and can leave at any time and will possibly close after by July. My advisor said the beds were worth the 35k I paid for the entire business. (2) Sundash 240's (4)level 1 beds, (3) level 2 beds (1) Sundazzler stand-up (1) Ergoline Turbo 600 (1) California spray system plus the computer systems to run the place.
I have confirmed in the past 60 days my original thoughts that I will have to move locations if I want to stay in the business.
My question. Has there much technical advancement in bed technology? I understand that HP's look cool and may be better and that bulb technology has changed, but have the other beds really changed. My friend assures me I should reopen with the beds I have and i will use my cost advantage (no debt) to undercut the competition with lower prices. He has had a lot of success with tanning and seems to really have the pulse of the local tanning business, being able to name and discuss every salon owner in the area and their business situation(there are a lot).
My question, is my buddy right? Do solid used machines, even if they are older have an ROI that beats the latest and greatest. Or, are the bed sales guys right that say you can't compete with old beds. If the sales guys are right is it customer perception or true advancement in machine technology?
olmantan is offline   Reply With Quote