View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 07:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
proffitt01

Re: tanning results ?

I have a question? I have layed in the tanning bed before. it has just been a while. After I have layed about 4 times i started to get a rash that did not itch on my legs and lower stomach. But now the rash no longer is on my stomach even after i lay. What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltanner View Post
S.Y.S.T.I.M. - Save Your Skin Tan In Moderation

You should never get red (unless you are using a hot-action lotion). I think you were tanning too long to start. I am a skin type two, and although I can get very dark, I start at 3 minutes and stay there for several sessions. I know, most people don't like to start that low, but this is your SKIN we're talking about, the largest organ in/on your body - don't disserve it by doing irreversible damage, especially when it is so easily avoided. Saving a few dollars now is nothing compared to saving your skin for the rest of your life.

I keep the first tans close together (I give myself a day in between - a "tan" can continue to develop for 24-48 hours after exposure) but for shorter amounts of time to make sure you aren't burning but are building on what you are getting. Sessions four and five are usually around 5 minutes, and I continue to increase like this - slow and low - until I reach my maximum tanning time and I never burn. I honestly can't say when I noticed I had a tan, but I can say I did not ever see red, and I get very tan in the end.

Everybody's skin is different, so it would be impossible to say when you will have a "good tan" but you really have to tan in moderation - especially if you are a low skin type - if you want to effectively use UVB tanning beds.

You could try using a high-percentage UVA/low-percentage UVB bed (some people call them UVA beds or bronzing beds) in the meantime, like every fifth tan or so, to get some color development faster. They tend to produce deeper, browner tans more quickly, but don't give you that "protective" base tan. They are also usually fast beds (sometimes 8,10, or 12 minutes) - avoid the temptation to do the full time if you are a true skin type two until you have a better base as it sounds like you have a tendancy to burn a little.

I am not familiar with the lotion you are using because I only carry California Tan, but a bronzer should be giving you color that should last a couple of days. If you are tanning every other day, you should have some color development from the bronzer. If you want the top of the line, Cypher Step 1 Bronzer is VERY NICE (at a price $$$) - but you can achieve good results with most bronzers by applying them evenly and regularly. If you are skipping a day in the beds, still use the lotion to get the bronzers.

Have you thought of using Sunless Tanning while you are building your "real" tan? We do the hand-held airbrush style at my salon, and in my opinion, it rocks. You can get it very light and natural and build it up just like you would your tan over the summer. Just remember, Sunless Tanning, like the high-UVA/low-UVB tanning bed, gives you color but not a protective tan like you are building in the regular UVB beds, so you still probably need sunscreen for a while, even if you look gorgeous :)

Just out of curiousity, did anyone at your salon even ask you if you were getting red/burned at 8 minutes before allowing you to continue on that regimen? If it turns out to be my store - that person's fired!
proffitt01 is offline   Reply With Quote