Thread: Tanorexia
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 01:20 AM   #18 (permalink)
Beaners

Re: Tanorexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria1990 View Post
I'm the originator of this thread, and I don't think I'm addicted to tanning either I just thought it would be an interesting topic to talk about, I didn't know it would be so controversial.

Of course there are bigger problems, but if it is an addiction, tanning too much can't be very healthy, can it?
I agree with you, Maria1990, and do feel it can be a serious problem for some (HA - but not us, obviously! :-). Since you'd raised the question, I wanted to offer up the bit of info. I had on the subject ... but then the thread kinda went sideways with the hecklers! *LOL*

What I found most interesting is that regular tanners apparently feel this pull more strongly than those who never tan, suggesting that tanning itself perpetuates the desire to continue (and it's not about having brown skin, but - rather - the endorphin boost). Some may scoff at this (and that's fine), but I find it fascinating (guess I'm just weird that way ...).

While most know how to "handle UV responsibly" (*LOL*), I'm sure every salon owner has experienced a compulsive tanner or two - those who can't seem to stop themselves, coming in day in, day out, having memberships at multiple places, looking like they've changed their race with skin the texture of beef jerky, living & breathing UV far beyond what can be considered moderate (burn or not!). While they may be an easy & obvious source of revenue, I think salon owners should be very concerned about these folks because they're the ones who end up with the skin cancers, burns, horrendous aging effects and other afflictions the industry then gets (unfairly) blamed for.

Anyway, we've probably beaten this topic to death, but I did want to respond with those final thoughts. Take care, and happy tanning!
Beaners is offline   Reply With Quote