Thread: Tanorexia
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2008, 05:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
unity
I vote for DERF!

Rep Power: 22 unity is just really nice unity is just really nice unity is just really nice unity is just really nice unity is just really nice
Re: Tanorexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaners View Post
It can, in fact, be a physical addiction. Beyond the cosmetic appearance of a tan, when UV rays strike skin, it produces endorphins that make the tanner feel good. Many will attest to feeling "happier" or "energized" after a tanning session. (I speak from personal experience - in fact, for me it's not so much wanting to be brown as it is getting that UV high!).

It was also once believed that the heat and relaxation effects of the tannng unit was what caused the relaxation, but tests have since ruled that out when subjects consistently selected UV-containing beds over placebos (without knowing which was which).

Finally, while this may be a serious addiction for some, I think most people are just responding to a natural instinct to seek sunlight, a built-in mechanism that ensures humans receive sufficient UV for health. It only becomes a problem when people take it too far.
An article to back that up would be great. Not that I doubt you. But again this lies with those that have addictive personalities.

Anything can be "addictive". But in the context of drugs, alcohol, etc. a person should not feel any withdrawal from tanning.