View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008, 01:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
sunsally
Team TanTalk

Rep Power: 25 sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute sunsally has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dan Humiston Announces Run For U.S. Congress in 27th Congressional District

I'll chime in here (surprise!! )

1. MANY don't post on-line -- in fact, most! Many who have, have felt "burnt" by it over the years - the behavior here CAN be less than "dignified" and the discourse less than fully professional. So I really don't think that should be held against Dan or anyone else. Most of us who DO post find it a little oddly "addicting" - and probably need a good 12-step program!

2. Dan has a 35 salon chain, is president of the ITA and travels around the country in that regard, has a young family, and maybe......a life. Possibly Tantalk just can't fit into the Top 10 priorities in all of that, ITA policy or otherwise -- seems fair.

3. I spoke to Dan about this during the last ITA Board meeting a few weeks ago. A few things he shared that lead to his interest in running for Congress:

a. If, for instance, a member of Congress calls the FDA or FTC about something -- they have to have someone return that call or visit them WITHIN 24 HOURS!! A LOT of pull in that!

b. If a junior state rep in some town gets a call from a U.S. Rep wanting to know why he is proposing a certain legislation (e.g. banning under 18 tanning in their state.....), they are VERY likely to take the call very quickly --- and may get an "education" that they wouldn't otherwise be open to hear!

c. It's "politics". That means, having an insider be able to make "personal relationships" that can't help but influence opinions -- even if it just means that person taking the time to sit down over coffee to hear your views and research things you share with them.

If you meet Dan, he is a very unassuming, salt-of-the-earth kind of guy. Not glitzy, not self-consumed. He could be "Joe Businessman" in any industry. He HAPPENS to have made his mark in Indoor Tanning, and I think he is as passionate about the industry -- for his OWN personal gain, but also, very honestly, for the gain of the industry as a whole --- as any.

To me, this is like the Berman Campaign. I can give a little -- a VERY little -- to someone else being willing to put in the "heavy lifting" in an attempt to help me out. If it works -- I get TREMENDOUS ROI on my very small contribution. If it falls short -- at least I tried, and can say I was part of attempting to move the industry forward!!

I will be making a contribution to Dan's campaign (sorry I didn't see this yesterday before the quarter end, but I'll be the first of the next quarter!) and encourage others to do the same - even a very small amount to signal "this guy has widespread support".
sunsally is offline   Reply With Quote