View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008, 03:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
psoriasisTanner

Cool Re: Tanning for psoriasis

I just started having psoriasis about 2 years ago. It started out as a little patch about the size of an eraser on my elbow, and next thing you know, it spread like wildfire all over my body, and it was extremely scaly and deep red colored and thick, so itchy that I couldn't think of anything else but scratching till I reached bone. It hurt all the time, not to mention the psychological effects. All of the treatments for psoriasis are dangerous in one way or another, and it is not at all understood. I heard that some people try tanning as an alternative to expensive uv treatments at the Dr's office. Because I have so much in different spots, I'm sure it would take a LONG time at the doctor. Anyway, I have very fair skin and I've never wanted to tan. I've avoided the sun and stay indoors all of the time. I am scared of premature aging and skin cancer. But, the psoriasis got so bad that I just had to try tanning. I am just entering my fifth week of tanning....it's only 2 weeks into doing the maximum time frame allowed. I read that UVB light is the one that helps with psoriasis, so I'm using the only tanning bed at my salon that has this type of light, and I've been going max 8 minute sessions 4-5 times a week (i'm trying to go every day). The results are really shocking-- i have photos to show it. My psoriasis still has healing to do, but it's been clearing so rapidly that i can actually notice a difference when I wake up in the morning compared to the day before-- even my friends are shocked! I wish I could scream at all psoriasis sufferers to try it--- and it really makes me sad and mad that the tanning salons cannot make any claims about it...they should at least be able to mention that it MAY help. It's definitely helping me-- thanks so much tanning industry! (even though i miss my porcelain skin)
psoriasisTanner is offline   Reply With Quote