View Single Post
Old 06-01-2006, 05:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
kissfan44

Re: I want to open a tanning salon and i'm interested in profits and start up costs? help

and what kind of an area is it population wise? low income community? rent or own building? "15/20 tanning beds" equipment alone, at an average of say $5,000 per bed (extremely low, maybe a basic bed) you'd be at $100,000. Then build out - minimum $30-40,000. Electrical work, decorting, computers, inventory, plus a LARGE bank roll to carry you through the slow months. And by slow, we mean june, july, august, september, october, november. What type of equipment does the existing salon have? One high pressure bed alone will cost you $30,000. Stand ups depending on model run up to $18,000 each, if not more. Who will do the maintenance on all of this equipment? Electricians/technicians are expensive? Are you experienced? Are you ready to fund bulb changes on all 20 units every year? Bulbs could be $300-$2,000 per unit each time they are changed. Tanning is not a get rich quick business. Employees/payroll/insurance/high electricity bills/repairs/heating/rent/advertising/etc. will eat up any profits very quickly. Plan on spending your life in your salon. At least 70hrs per week for the owner/operator. And trust me, its not all fun and games. It may look great when you walk in and see someone just standing behind a counter, but they're only there for the few seconds you are. You don't see what goes on for the 20min while you're tanning...work. Are you prepared to clean for 10+ hours per day?
kissfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote