Thread: PREGNANT
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2006, 05:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Sheila in Minnesota

Rep Power: 23 Sheila in Minnesota is a jewel in the rough Sheila in Minnesota is a jewel in the rough Sheila in Minnesota is a jewel in the rough Sheila in Minnesota is a jewel in the rough
Re: PREGNANT

I spent EVERY DAY on the beach during my entire last pregnancy.... between 5-7 hours per day (had two young ones already and a hubby working 3rd shift at the time).....

Quite a bit more exposure than ever gotten inside a tanning bed I can assure you ~

There is no danger to the baby with the exceptions as stated.... really HOT beds (ambient temps over 100 degrees) are not good for the mom or the baby.... but the actual UV rays never 'reach' the fetus.... and infact, tanning in moderation will help both mom and baby and their need for Vitamin D 3 .....

Common sense (a thing that when left up to many MDs is in short supply) is the key here....

If she has NO BASE TAN at this time.... she will need to go very slowly at first.... Hormones in the first tri are raging ---- and could lead to her being extra sensitive to UV.....

Any expectant mom needs to be well hydrated - - - and this is an issue for tanners as well.... So water before and after each session should be a given.

Depending on what part of the country she lives in ---- indoor tanning may be her only REAL good source of vitamin D3 and a relaxed smile.....

I'd say she needs to be at a GREAT SALON.... one that really knows their stuff and gives a rat's *** about their clients.... then go for it :)
Sheila in Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote