View Single Post
Old 06-24-2005, 02:36 PM   #20 (permalink)
Sol Sister

RC- Please explain this "hitting them from places they cannot fight back, the media"- How can they Not fight back, they are all over the media- why have a media tit-for-tat in the public without the backings of a motion being filed? IMO we need both. The motion gains movement and weight with press- the press is substantiated by the motion being filed... they feed off of each other and gain substance along the way- one without the other would be meaningless. It is my understanding that salons cannot make any medical claims or claim any benefit other than a "cosmetic tan" of exposure to UVR. Yes, this is not a "gag-order" perse, so maybe we should use different terminology for this restriction. We are free to send or direct or request that our local and national news networks report new articles of research that are pro-sun, pro-UVR exposure, pro-HEALTH... but the likelihood of them running it slim to none- UNLESS, we unite professionally, take action together as one unit, get a PR representative and present the information as fact- fact enough for us to legally present to the AMA that they are breaking the Sherman Act and supporting ill-health and injury to millions of people, taking their money, raising their healthcare costs, etc. We must also support the message (as strongly as possible) to NEVER BURN, to be smart about UV exposure, to inspire the regualr folks sitting on their couches to be pro-active about their health. Independently run this would be a simple ad for "Joe's Tan Shack"- nothing wrong with that (for Joe) but Joe alone will not change public opinion or affect change for the image of the industry.

It is ok that we are not on the exact same page right now- all involved should step back for a sec and debate the process and procedure we should be following- no personal bashes involved, that will only side track and divide us. Debate and thought sharing are part of this process, I say emrace it and put your thoughts out there.

To back Sheila's assertion that Big Pharma and Government are losing ground with the public trust, I offer this piece from Rolling Stone Mag- http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/_/id/7395411 -These kinds of reports are showing up everywhere and when they start KC*F-ing with our children, trust as a whole will have been erroded to a nub for the AMA and the FDA across the board. They will have bigger damage control to deal with than the tanning industry- I agree with the thinking that the timing is right for a collective action on the part of salon owners and independently or collectively on the part of anyone else involved in the industry that stands to lose their livelihood if tanning is eventually banned or restricted to the point that UV equipment can only be operated by a Dr.

THE SUN IS FREE, if indoor salons are gone- people will not go to the Dr's office for a tan... with a $5-40 co-pay per session- they cannot make a living running a tanning salon out of the Dr's office.

My .02
Sol Sister is offline   Reply With Quote