View Single Post
Old 10-03-2004, 11:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Sheila in Minnesota

Rep Power: 23 Sheila in Minnesota is a jewel in the rough Sheila in Minnesota is a jewel in the rough Sheila in Minnesota is a jewel in the rough Sheila in Minnesota is a jewel in the rough
Start from scratch -

Pass on this 'opportunity' ~ you got the tools to find the right location and your own employees.... I would never keep staff ~ especially from a multi location store.

Landlord issues suck - you can do everything right and still take it up the butt from a landlord....

Depending on the area of the country - - - 30 mins from home could be horrendous on a Call Off employee..... so that is not a positive either ~

If I were to do it over ~ I would build my own Stand-alone or stripmall.... my salon would be paying off ~ ME ~ in lieu of that ~ Pay MORE for that awesome busy strip in great repair (you don't want to be paying for a new roof, new surface in the lot, or new lighting in your CAM charges)......

If you are planning on keeping both your jobs and want minimal input to a turn key ~ then consider becoming a Licensee or Franchise establishment - where all the rules and decisions are made for you.

9-11 and El Ninio (2001 into 2002) did indeed kick that crap out of growth and did drastically effect anyone of us depending on Spring Breakers (which were cancelled) and J Term Travel (also cancelled)....

But you are considering entering a 'Seasonal Business'.... one that is under constant attack from the Derms and Cosmetic Companies (and even some Sunless honchos) to the tune of Millions and Millions of lobbiest Bucks a year.....

I loved MY salon ~ but I can't honestly say that I found much to love within the industry ... You need to decide if you want to get in to Make a Living or get in to Hide Income....

Most of the most successful people I've met were looking for a tax shelter ~ and darned if they didn't wind up kicking *** in performance too ~

Sorry this is so disjointed ~ I am watching some old jocks scream at each other before the game .... dam ~ those Black guys should teach the White guys how to dress!!!!
Sheila in Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote