Thread: Tanning Bumps?
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2004, 10:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
suntanztanning

Okay, my customer went to her doctor and he said it was "Prickly Heat". The doctor sent the following information for me to read. I thought I would post it here on TanTalk.
________________________________________ _______________________________________
Prickly heat (miliaria rubra) is a type of heat rash that lasts for several days or even weeks without proper care. Here the pores of the sweat glands get plugged, resulting in tiny pink bumps or even water blisters. These bumps tend to show up on covered parts of the skin, especially where there is friction from clothing. The forehead (under caps or visors), body folds, the upper back and chest, and the arms and legs are the most common locations. Prickly heat is most common when it is hot and humid, but it can also occur in overdressed infants even during the winter. Applying oils and ointments makes prickly heat more likely (and take longer to clear up). Often prickly heat itches, and will be describe a 'prickly' sensation. The rash can look quite similar to one caused by infected hair follicles (folliculitis), but if you look at the prickly heat bumps with a magnifying glass, no hair follicles will be seen.

Prickly heat is treated with gentle cleansing of the skin. Using Stri-Dex Acne Medicated Sensitive Skin Pads; the salicylic acid helps to unplug the pores. Hydrocortisone cream (not ointment) can help with itching. Sometimes antihistamines are needed for the itching (and sleep). If the rash is infected, antibiotics may also be needed. With treatment, prickly heat should disappear within 2 or 3 days. An important note: Tanning can produce prickly heat. The client should be advised NOT to use and oils or moisturizers until the rash clears.
suntanztanning is offline   Reply With Quote