View Single Post
Old 11-20-2002, 08:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
fungirlz

I have looked at the faces of bewilderment when a guest is trying to read the back of a label of a product.. I myself have stood there and shook my head wondering what the heck some of the words are and what exactly these ingredients do…and why a chemist put them into the product.

Allurd Publishing Corp..publishes a great magazine called Cosmetics and Toiletries and has been a great reference to me.

Now is a great time for new developments in the cosmetic industry…….. Guests are more aware that some marketing claims are not true..and they want answers as well as results.. I am glad consumers are asking more questions and looking for the answers.
That is why I feel we need to know what the heck we are talking about to our guests when explaining a product.

Lets first look at three different kinds of products..,
First there is Cosmetics.. ( lotions for tanning are classified in this category).
Next there is Pharmaceuticals ( these are products that penetrate into the dermis.. technically we should not use the word penetrate rather “absorbed” is a better term.)
We know that that ingredients that remain on the surface of the of the skin are refered to as ones that penetrated… so I think when talking about a pharmaceutical crème or lotion we should say it absorbs..(Follow?)

New break troughs in cosmetic chemistry has brought forth a new category in products called Dermo-cosmetics. Cosmetics and ingredients in cosmetics seem to be bridging a big gap between pharmaceuticals and cosmetics..
Another word I am hearing a lot these days in our industry relating to these products that bridge the gap is cosmeceuticals. These are the same type of products or ingredients that have a higher performance rate in results.
This is what Eric develops in his treatment line of skincare products.
At this time it is not real clear from a regulatory stand point is if it’s the performance or the penetration of these products.. So they are in class all to themselves.

Now that we understand the three different kinds of products on the market we can now begin to discuss whats in them and what makes them work..and who they will work for..

C

Eric.. want to expound on cosmeceuticals for us?
[ This Message was edited by: fungirlz on 2002-11-20 08:14 ]
fungirlz is offline   Reply With Quote