View Single Post
Old 09-17-2002, 02:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
BooBop
I love Derf!!

Rep Power: 23 BooBop has much to be proud of BooBop has much to be proud of BooBop has much to be proud of BooBop has much to be proud of BooBop has much to be proud of BooBop has much to be proud of BooBop has much to be proud of BooBop has much to be proud of BooBop has much to be proud of
October issue of Elle is talking about Accutane. We all know it is used for Cystic Acne and Hollywood is using it wildly.

But... according to the article in Elle magazine it may be a wonder drug for certain cases of cancer.

It states: "Accutane has been shown to make the abnormal cells behave like normal ones." It also says doctors are using it to treat other skin conditions such as: rosacea, psoriasis, and even leukemia and skin cancer.

Accutane's real claim to fame, however, may lie in its ability to effectively help treat certain cancers. Some doctors have recently started prescribing the drug for mild, non-melanoma forms of epidermal skin cancer--from basal cell nevus syndrome (an inherited type of basal cell cancer) to multiple keratoacanthoma (a slightly more serious squamous cells cancer).

As pharmaceutical companies work to develop new retinoid compounds, the hope is that they might one day be able to prevent cancer in high-risk individuals. But, koeffler warns, there is not evidence yet to support that theory and Accutane should never be used by the public to try to prevent cancer.

For the full story pick up the book or try www.elle.com I don't know if this story will be on the web site, as I have not tried it. Go read the whole story, it is very interesting.
BooBop is offline   Reply With Quote