View Single Post
Old 04-09-2002, 08:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Max Recone

TanTalk.com Readers and Supporters;

I agree with Greg, that a real strategy needs to be developed to combat the arrival of the Mass brands to the Indoor Tanning Industry.

History

The market was developed by David Rollins with his brand Eurotan for the past seven to eight years that i am aware of....

Hawaiian Tropic last year launched Tan2Max and it was the number one product lauch in the Food/Drug/Mass outlets last year....This must have caught my old teammates totally off guard and their new lauch was their reaction to attempting to capture some of this market.

Make no mistake, Hawaiian Tropic and Banana Boat are very strong trademarks.

The best way for you to deal with these products is to have:

1) Knowledgeable staff representing the lines you carry....they must know the differences between these products. There are substantial differences, read the labels, contact the website, contact the manufacturers's customer service departments.

Consider giving your staff smples of the professional products you stock and buy one bottle of any Mass brand and let them compare. There are big differences in the tanning results your staff will receive and they can communicate their testimonial from these experiences.

This is not a time to be shy.

2) Incentiveize your staff, no matter what commission you are paying, consider, increasing it to your staff, a staff that shares in your success will be more motivated to help you in the sale of professional products.

3) Note on the Hawaiian Tropic Tan2Max, they attach eyewear and on the back of the package they tell their clients not to use in tanning beds...let people see this.

4) Lastly, don't panic....this may or may not turn out to be a competitive threat to the professional industry, but thru better trained, better motivated staff you will be able to overcome these competitive threats.

Please post your succes stories in this thread, share them so that we can all learn how to better serve our clients.

Max
Max Recone is offline   Reply With Quote